Do you have a machete while hunting?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by d_p_holland, Sep 20, 2020.

1. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

Picture/Brand/Price range???

neophyte likes this.
  2. Alex Roderick

Alex Roderick G&G Regular

USA
    A machete? nah.... difficult to carry!

Ron The Legend and neophyte like this.

3. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

I use a machete almost daily. I keep a full sized machete in all my vehicles. I don't usually carry one while hunting but use one to clear my trails and shooting lanes. I do keep a short one in my turkey hunting gear to cut brush & palmetto fans when making a blind. IMG_0619.JPG here is a sample of my machete collection. when I used to travel a lot to Latin America I would always buy myself a machete at the local hardware store. even if I wasn't going into the jungle, at least I had a weapon. these are my favorite "working" machetes. IMG_0621.JPG the short machete on the bottom is the one I keep in my turkey gear. it originally looked similar to the other short machete in the picture. I re-shaped the blade, put a brass handguard and rosewood handle on it. IMG_0620.JPG IMG_0622.JPG this is my military machete collection.

4. noelekal

noelekal G&G Evangelist

Well now that's neato blaster. Thanks for posting the photos.

5. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

Ok, you got me. I recognize, or own, all of the ones in your top picture, save one. What is that long, telwar/sabre, looking blade on the far right?

6. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan G&G Evangelist

Indiana
    beaver hunt 2.jpg
    I've used surplus pistol belts for holsters and stuff since I first bought my first pistol.

7. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 <------------<<<-

I like that rig!

8. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan G&G Evangelist

Indiana
    Hawks n knife.jpg
    Thanks.
    Thats my Ruger Old Army with a possibles pouch and an HBForge throwing knife.

I love that knife. It is a "do it all". Toy, skinner, cutter, bone breaker, machete. I sharpen it up first of each deer season razor sharp. Clean it good and then blue the steel and mink oil the handle.

Here is a better pic of the knife along with two HBForge tomahawks.

9. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 <------------<<<-

The OA is on my list. It’s not terribly high, but I’d have a hard time passing one up...

10. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

it IS an odd one and I have never seen one in a store. it was given to me by a friend that used it in his shark processing plant. I don't know where he got it. the label is long gone but it was made by one of the major Central American machete companies. (Coronetta, Collins or Imacasa) my guess is that it was designed to cut grass or hay.

neophyte and Ron The Legend like this.
  11. Ron The Legend

Ron The Legend G&G Evangelist

Colorado
    You my brother from another mother? Think the same way little younger brother.

neophyte and noelekal like this.
  12. Ron The Legend

Ron The Legend G&G Evangelist

Colorado
    You guys are bad azzes IMHO. LOL The only machete I have is a home made one made from a wells saw blade that does sit on top the safe incase.

neophyte and blaster like this.
  13. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

That blade shape definitely makes it look like a weapon. I have a decent collection of machetes, short swords and chopping blades from Chile, Argentina, Brazil, the Philippines, and Thailand, and several U.S. and British military machetes. Some are pretty unique in shape, but that one you have fascinates me.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Ron The Legend, blaster and neophyte like this.
  14. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Nice! I have a huge collection of knives but only a few machetes. I like that variety you have for sure.

Ron The Legend, blaster and neophyte like this.
  15. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    My machetes are hung on the wall inside my garages and sheds just in case. Not necessarily to clear a path of weeds.

16. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

It seems we were taught to use hand grenades' to create an opening? The grenade is faster and much more effective than a "Big Knife",.:eek::D

Ron The Legend likes this.
  17. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

the blade is the same thickness as a regular machete so it feels kinda flimsy. my friend was using it like a fillet knife on big sharks..