close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do You Have Your Salt

Discussion in 'Survival Discussions' started by Zebraranger, Dec 5, 2017.

1. I try to keep 4 or 5 cartons & a bag of rock all the time, but salt is hard to keep without it drawing moisture !.................

Wicked109 likes this.

2. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Well, since I live right by the ocean, I wouldn't think salt would be a problem. Just fill pans with seawater and leave them out in the sun to evaporate the water out.

Wicked109 likes this.
  3. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

I have two 5 gallon plastic buckets with rubber sealed lids full. Plus a half dozen boxes of canning salt. The salt in buckets was for drying animal hides.

4. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf G&G Evangelist

About 50 lbs. Stored in big ammo cans.

5. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

I have about 10 pounds of Iodized salt, about 4 pounds of sea salt, 24 pounds of canning and pickling salt, and about 160 pounds (4 bags) of water softener salt (that is safe to consume - just need to crush it up). 120 pounds of rice, 50 pounds of beans, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Dressround and jwrauch like this.
  6. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    ^^^no turtle doves?

jwrauch and Wicked109 like this.
  7. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

LOL - we ate them.

jwrauch and animalspooker like this.
  8. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ G&G Evangelist

I remember my folks buying 50# bags of Iodized rock salt for livestock.
    Your local livestock feed store should have bags and blocks of the stuff.
    Iodized salt (or table salt) was first sold in the United States in 1924 in efforts to thwart goiter, an issue plaguing the country’s “goiter belt” – stretching from the areas surrounding the Great Lakes to the Pacific Northwest. While humanitarian efforts are making an impact, goiters and other health problems resulting from iodine deficiency are still common in parts of South America’s highlands, and areas within central Asia and Africa – where iodine was either drained from the soil by glaciation and flooding, or located far from ocean waters.
    We can get iodine naturally by eating saltwater fish and seafood, kelp, and other sea vegetables, as well as vegetables grown in iodine-rich soils. Even dairy products can provide iodine if the animals graze on plants growing in soils containing iodine.
    Conversely, the salt found in processed and fast foods is not iodized, with so much of our population substituting clean meals made from whole foods with take-out food or processed foods, iodine intakes in the United States have declined from about 250 micrograms (mcg) per day to 164 mcg daily. At a minimum, we need 150 mcg and the recommendation for pregnant and lactating women are at least 220 mcg and 290 mcg respectively. Daily intakes of up to 1,100 mcg, including that from iodized salt, are considered safe for adults. But the amount for children is less, with the maximum amounts being 200 mcg for ages 1-3; 300 mcg for ages 4-8; 600 mcg for ages 9-13; and 900 for teens age 14-18.

HOME DIET & NUTRITION COOKING & COOKWARE Q & AWhich Is Better: Iodized Salt Or Non-Iodized Sea Salt?

Is it necessary to use iodized salt? I’ve noticed that you can buy “natural” salt that isn’t iodized. Which is better?

Humans & livestock require trace amounts of iodine, a non-metallic mineral, for proper development and growth. It exists in most soils, and is absorbed by plants, which are in turn ingested by humans and animals. The thyroid gland is home to the body’s largest iodine stores, as it requires the mineral for synthesis of the hormones it secretes. That’s why an iodine deficiency can lead to an enlarged thyroid gland (endemic goiter), slowed metabolism, weight gain, and other symptoms of hypothyroidism, including fatigue, and intolerance of cold. Additionally, a deficiency can also promote neurological, gastrointestinal, and skin abnormalities. It proves even more vital for pregnant or nursing mothers whose thyroid problems from an iodine deficiencycan impede fetal and child development. In fact, this prenatal deficiency is the most common cause of preventable brain damage in the world.

Salts can be good as long as they are the good salts, working in heat and staying hydrated is one thing, over the course of a couple days working and drinking just water you can deplete your bodys essential salts.
    The average person has 2.6 million sweat glands. These glands are activated when a portion of the brain determines that the body needs to be cooled down. Sweat evaporates off our skin which allows for heat loss and cooling. However, when we sweat, we also lose water and electrolytes (i.e., “salts” such as sodium, chloride, potassium). Drinking enough water and having enough electrolytes is necessary for our bodies to function properly, without the body cannot regulate its internal temprature and heat stroke is a real danger. This is why it is so important to stay hydrated; a dehydrated person is likely to start having symptoms of heat illness.

https://blogs.cdc.gov/niosh-science-blog/2011/08/12/heat-2/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...0CtQQFghoMAY&usg=AOvVaw0pfUSBLB7XFsZqvQFjOzEp

Common chemicals may also cheat you out of iodine. Constant exposure to fluoride from tap water, chlorine from swimming pools, and bromide from plastic food containers, pesticide-sprayed produce, and flame retardant–coated furniture all compete with iodine in the body, says Large. “The cells that need it the most—thyroid, breast, brain, and skin cells—soak up these chemicals instead of iodine.”

Iodine rich foods.
    https://bembu.com/iodine-rich-foods/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.healthbeckon.com/iodine-rich-foods/amp/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    blaster and Wicked109 like this.
  9. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Griz now you reminded me about my hides in the freezer. I was busy so started to flesh a few hides and salted them good. I rolled them up and put into the chest freezer to finish fleshing and tanning later when not busy. I need to get them done

ncnascarlady and Wicked109 like this.
  10. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

That's a little different than table salt and lacks essentials that the body gets from mineral salt.

11. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

but you can eat the seaweed while your waiting for the water to evaporate.
    it has enough iodide in it to keep you safe from the nuclear fall-out too.

Wicked109 likes this.
  12. our local grocery store used to sell 25lb bags of table salt for $6.99. We bought and stored 150 or so lbs and then they stopped selling it. I have some in plastic 5 gal buckets and some just in the bag.If it gets hard all you have to do is break it up or melt it in water. I store sugar the same way

ncnascarlady and Wicked109 like this.
  13. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

good info.
    while I haven't been hoarding salt for SHTF, I do keep several pounds stored at my camps. because it is so hot down here I can't hang my venison and have to immediately cool down the meat or it spoils. I cut it up and put it in a large Igloo cooler with ice, water and a pound or so of salt. the salt inhibits bacteria and draws blood out of the meat. I have left meat in the cooler like this for up to 5 days to "age" and it works almost as good as hanging.
    salt was a valuable commodity in ancient times as it was the main method of preserving food. soldiers in the Roman army received part of their pay in salt.

ncnascarlady likes this.