does a 30-6 kick as hard as a 12guage ?

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by jigga, Sep 3, 2010.

1. jigga

jigga G&G Newbie

looking for my first deer rifle, i have a 12 guage that i shoot 2 3/4 foster slugs with. the gun kicks but it is not that bad. i dont need a 30-6 for were i hunt but for my only rifle i think its a good choice. mostly deer maybe a bear hunt too. or is there a better choice. the only gun i have shot with any recoil is my shotgun so thats all i have to compare too. any help or advice please. my real reason for the 06 is i can get a good deal on a used one , or i would probaly get a 270 or 308

2. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

I don't think 30.06 kick to bad.
    Not the best rifle for brown bears!
    Were are you from?

3. Well,

no cartridge is loaded to the range of bullet weights and styles as is the thirty ought six. It has taken all North American game for over one hundred years. It is a fantastic choice as a one rifle to own.I do not feel there is that much recoil difference although I feel the slug gun kicks a bit more. Others may state differing views.

4. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

Recoil would be real close. Alot depends on the weight of each gun, and whether any have a rubber recoil pad. I'd say they are more or less equal. If you can take the 12 gauge slug with no problem, you won't have issues with the '06 recoil.

5. jigga

jigga G&G Newbie

thanks for the responses guys, my buddy who has lots of rifles wouldnt tell me. he just said you dont worry about the kick when you buy a gun. i didnt want to buy something that was going to take my shoulder off. i am a small guy at 5''4 140 lbs. i hunt out of tree stands most of the time i dont want a gun that will blow me out of the tree lol

6. jigga

jigga G&G Newbie

it would be black bears, i live in RI but take hunting trips to maine

7. They are pretty close to a Shotgun, but its a diffrent kind of kick if that makes sence. Plus there is quite a range of bullits to pick from for the 30-06. As griz pointed out unless you are planning to hunt Grizzlys, you should be able to take any thing in North America with ease. You can drop a grizzly with a 30-06 but it wouldnt be my first choice :D

8. jigga

jigga G&G Newbie

would a 270 or 308 be a better choice? i am totally knew to rifles and live in a shotgun only state so most of my hunting buddys are clueless. i got the three calibers from three different people. everyone recommended one and put down the other calibers. it was quite funny.

9. ALR

ALR ][][][% Forum Contributor

If the kick is too hard, you can get Remington Managed Recoil Ammunition which will still do the job on up to deer. It has a lesser kick to get used to then work your way up to standard ammo.

10. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  11. jigga

jigga G&G Newbie

thanks sam i had seen that second chart before. but that first one really makes it clear and understandable.

12. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I own a 12 ga. slug gun and a .30-06 (both Brownings). The slug gun kicks a bit more than the 06. I'm using sabots in the 12 ga. which tend to kick more than regular slugs.
    I prefer a .30-06 because of the wide range of loadings available and as mentioned above, will take down anything in North America below grizz with no problem.

13. moosemike

moosemike G&G Newbie

I've owned and shot the .30-06 since I was 13 years old. I enjoy shooting the '06. I have never like shooting 12 gauge slugs.

14. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

SHOTGUN RECOIL TABLE ,,, this is the only chart I found on shotguns.They bother me more than even some of the more potent rifles.The shotgun carries a lot of weight in a projectile.1 1/4oz of shot is about 550grn,s which would be a big bullet and carry some kick.A rifles stock is designed better for recoil too. ,,,sam.

15. It depends on the stock design, and the weight of the guns usually they are comparable, though an old single shot 12 gauge with heavy loads is more apt to get your attention, than a 30-06.

16. stinkybriches

stinkybriches G&G Enthusiast

im a big fan of the .270. in a bolt or pump it would be my first choice. my first rifle and my most recent rifle purchase are both chambered in .308. also a good chambering.
    for any of the three chamberings you mention, you will be able to buy ammo off the shelf for what you want to do.
    get a rifle with a nice squishy butt pad, or install one, and recoil wont be a problem.

17. The 30-06 is one of the best deer cartridges out there. The recoil isn't bad at all...if you can handle a 12 gauge slug then you can handle a 30-06.

18. moosemike

moosemike G&G Newbie

Shocking. I would never have guessed.

19. stinkybriches

stinkybriches G&G Enthusiast

im not surprised, im very subtle haha...
    whats shocking is that they dont chamber an AR , the 24 doesnt count, in this wonderful caliber forcing me to buy one in .308.

20. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Evangelist

I would equate 30-06 to 12 gauge 2 3/4" field/bird loads, when using comparable actions and recoil control.

So, 30-06 is strong, but ENTIRELY manageable, and with control devices like 'dead mule' and limbsaver pads, it's a piece of cake.