does anyone know the effective range of a marlin model 55g

Discussion in 'Marlin' started by geral ray johnson, Jul 29, 2020.

1. geral ray johnson

geral ray johnson G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

20200709_145035.jpg 20200709_145035.jpg using 000 buckshot ,or smoothbore slugs ! I need to shoot wild hogs at , about 60 yards ! this is a bolt action shotgun ! long goosegun with a full choke

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    big shrek and Dannyboy53 like this.
  2. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

geral ray johnson: Sir; I know nothing.
    id probably use slug
    (Me; a hand gunner)

https://ammo.com/bullet-type/000-buck

Hunting Use
    Most hunters will tell you that 000 buck is overkill when it comes to hunting, but there are some great exceptions. If you live in Idaho or Montana, for instance, the deer, moose, bears and mountain lions are huge compared to the small game deer in the South. The 000 buck will make it harder to hit something with a range of over 40 yards, but if you’ve patterned your shotgun – 000 buckshot 12 gauge or otherwise – and know exactly how it performs, it should do just fine. And even though you may have less pellets overall, the power allows you to hunt large prey

3. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I don't know about your particular gun but I can tell you what I expect from mine.
    I have a Mossberg 930 (semi-auto but that doesn't matter) with a 12 gauge, 18-1/2inch, cylinder choke barrel.
    I can get consistent 3" or less groups with it at 100 yards using slugs. Smaller groups with some kinds of ammo but all I tried so far will make 3" at the worst. The barrel is fitted with a "ghost ring" rear sight and a red bead front sight which certainly helps with aiming.
    Obviously, your gun and my gun are vastly different. I just wrote that to say that it certainly is possible to get decent groups with slugs.
    I have not tried 000 buckshot, but i would not use the 00 buckshot I have fired at 60 yards. 30 yards maybe.
    Your barrel is longer so you will get more speed from your rounds. The full choke is the "iffy" part. Most shotgun makers don't recommend buckshot or slugs through full chokes. You might want to check out the gun makers website and see if they say anything about it.

If you plan to use it, I recommend you get some large pieces of cardboard and make some test shot sat 20, 40, and 60 yards. If your gun can put the rounds on target, the ammo will take down a hog.

4. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

Use buckshot in that scattergun. More likely to break a bone at least. Slugs in a Full choke usually don't produce good results at any distance and may stress the bore.

As far as range goes, set up some 2x treated lumber at different distances. Consider a hogs hide is fairly thick. You'll get an idea of how close or far.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  5. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Evangelist

I have that gun in the rifled barrel model. I put a 3 x 9 x 40 Tasco on it and with the Hornady sabot slugs, it will put them in one hole at 100 yards. My Rem 870 scoped, rifle barrel will throw them 4-5 inches. Only used it once so far hunting, killed a nice 12 point at about 50 yards. Does not answer your question, but I have also shot it a lot with home loaded slugs and store bought ones as well just for grins, and they are well made guns and should last forever.

I have killed deer with 00 Buck and do not like it. If they are running away from you, the buck shot just mangles the rear legs. Probably does not matter with hogs as you just keep shooting. I would suggest the 000 buck over the 00 buck just for the better penetration and 60 yards is a long way for buckshot. With the foster/traditional slugs you should be good at 75 yards which is a long way with the bead sight. But if it is hogs, I might even try them out to 100 yards. They drop about 9 inches at 100. Those big guns are fun to shoot.
    IMHO

6. chesterwin

Just out of trying to learn, what's the "choke" on those rifled barrels?

graybeard and neophyte like this.
  7. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Geral I used to have one of those Goose guns. They are designed for scatter shot and not slugs. Designed for long shots and to hold a tight pattern. Basically BB shot or like #2 or #4 shot. Like Chesterwin said you should not shoot slugs out of it.

TXplt, Dannyboy53, graybeard and 2 others like this.
  8. geral ray johnson

my shotgun was made from 1961 to 1965

graybeard and Ranger4 like this.
  9. geral ray johnson

I bought a box of sellier and bellot bb shot shells today ! opened up 1 of them , I am not to sure about shooting a hog with it ! what do you think

10. rando

Maryland
    Geral do you have any Buckshot. Buckshot for deer hunting should work fine and keep a tight pattern. They are fairly cheap and available now. You can get 5 packs like they sell shotgun slugs or 25 round boxes. I have several of the RIO Brand boxes in 25 round buckshot. Walmart carries them sometimes too.

11. geral ray johnson

I will get a few boxes ! I looked today and couldnt find any ! academy sporting goods were sold out of pretty much everything

12. geral ray johnson

I use my 1903A3 for deer ! the goosegun, I want to use at night for wild hogs

Dannyboy53 likes this.
  13. rando

Maryland
    I thought you were wanting to use it for hog hunting. That is why I said buckshot. Will take down a pig too.

Dannyboy53 and geral ray johnson like this.
  14. geral ray johnson

yes for pigs

15. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Evangelist

They are supposed to be cylinder bore which is 0.730. I have not measured mine but the Marlin is an old gun and yet is shoots the Hornady sabot slugs in 1 hole at 100 yards. Savage currently makes a similar gun in both 20 and 12 and Browning makes one also. They also claim 1-2 inch groups. My Rem 870 rifled bore is not good at all, 5-6 inches at 100. Only way to know for sure is to measure them. My Marlin is in summer storage (where I put my hunting guns), but I will measure it in a few days and post here if I can remember.

There is always a concern about the older guns with extra full chokes and slugs. Most people do not worry too much about it with factory foster type slugs because they are soft lead. I have shot lots in modified chokes which are 0.710 and never had a problem. Sorry, I am not more help today but will try to add the actual size later.

big shrek and geral ray johnson like this.
  16. chesterwin

I don't need the size of the bores. I just wanted to verify they were "cylinder" bore, therefore there is no constriction on a solid projectile. "Full" choke with slugs squeeze the projectile as the barrel constricts in size toward the muzzle. There could potentially be a pressure issue which could cause a nasty accident. Notice I say could and not necessarily would. I believe it's playing it safe to not use slugs in a full choke shotgun and was attempting to pass that along as a hint.

TXplt, neophyte and rando like this.
  17. geral ray johnson

I shot my shotgun at at 60 yards with no2 buchshot ! it holds a real tight group

Attached Files:

neophyte and rando like this.
  18. geral ray johnson

19. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Evangelist

As far as hogs, my one experience with a shotgun was when calling turkeys. I called in a big Russian boar, probably 350 pounds, he ran straight for me. At about 15 yards I jumped up and he diverted in a big circle and then came around due to a big cliff he could not get up. I always carried a few 00 buck in my left pocket just in case I saw a hog, so I jacked the rounds out of my 870 chambered one round and shot him straight in the butt at about 35 yards. He dashed into a creek bed of thick oak brush.

Bad move, I chambered a couple more and went into the brush after him, slowly of course, but never found him. Went back and picked up my shells I had dumped on the ground and the fired hull, LOL, it was a 3 inch BB magnum, instead of buckshot. Did not even phase him. Except, he may be afraid of turkeys now. One of those dumb things I do now and then. I have a long list of them. FWIW

neophyte likes this.
  20. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

I wouldn't use a shotgun with any buckshot on a grown boar hog at 60 yds. if a shotgun is all you have, get closer or only shoot smaller pigs . unless you got real lucky and a pellet went in his ear, you are not going to get him. he will either run a VERY long way off and die or be protected by his armor and heal up. I've skinned several boars that had buckshot imbedded in their gristle shields. they were all healed up or in cysts but the boar was healthy. close range and with a head shot, a shotgun works good on hogs. at 60 yds even a 000 pellet has lost a lot of energy. hogs are heavier built than deer. and that heavy skin & gristle shield absorbs buckshot pretty good.

cjleete, TXplt, neophyte and 3 others like this.