Does Burger King do it like you do it?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by d_p_holland, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Has Burger King ever done it like you do it?

When doing hamburger meals (burgers, fries, onion rings, shakes, pies) at home, consider ingredients used, ingredient quality, equipment used and technique used.

Here's how I do it and it's not the same as BK does it:

For milkshakes, I use genuine premium ice cream, fresh milk, real vanilla and fresh or good frozen fruit in an Osterizer. I don't use some phony stuff in a carton called "shake mix" and I don't use a commercial Taylor "shake machine".

For fries and onion rings, they are store-bought frozen and placed in kitchen oven on roasting rack over cookie sheet. Heinz ketchup.

For burgers, fresh high-quality toasted sesame seed buns, fresh crisp green lettuce shredded, high-quality red ripe tomatoes sliced, 100% quality ground chuck beef hand formed in patties and placed in freezer ten minute before going on Weber gas grill, sliced good cheese melted on patties over fire, fresh crisp fried bacon, salt, pepper and Best Foods/Hellmann's real mayonnaise. Buns are toasted golden brown over grill flame.

I never use a microwave like BK does it. I never use frozen patties like BK does it. I never let the mayonnaise and produce sit out in the heat like BK does it. I don't use a holding steamer for sandwiches like BK does it. I don't use a robotic gas grill like BK does it. I don't use a robotic bun toaster like BK does it.

Would you drive up to the window of a fast-food joint in a big yellow CAT tractor or on a motorcycle? I don't drive up to such windows in anything because I don't even do fast-food joints.

For pies, it's Mrs Smith's or Sara Lee

frozen pies hot out of the oven.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  2. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

I don't & never will believe them. Remember the "The way you want it"slogan? My wife found out that was a lie.

jwrauch likes this.

3. You or your wife can do it much better than BK or any fast-food joint ever could.
    I hope your wife did not get sick from BK.

jwrauch likes this.
  4. shop tom

shop tom G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I got violently ill TWICE from eating at Burger King. Two days worth of dual-end evacuation. No more Whopper Juniors for me. Even their regular cheeseburgers caused havoc with my normally cast-iron stomach.

jwrauch likes this.
  5. My stomach is stainless steel so it won't rust. My taste buds are rather "made of buttercups" when it comes to rotten-tasting burgers, however.

Do you grill burgers at home over charcoal, over gas or sandwiched between the teflon plates of a George Foreman?

6. shop tom

shop tom G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

At home, propane gas grill.

jwrauch likes this.
  7. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

We fry ours on the range. Been considering doing them on the grill, but firing it up for only 2 burgers seems to be a waste.

As to store bought burgers, best I've found is Whataburger. They actually will do it your way, with 3600 different combinations! They don't advertise much, except on the radio & I've never heard them tout prices! The few times I've seen them advertised on TV, they really do look like what they picture!

One other place here is the Butcher Shop, if still around. Haven't been there in years, but they ask you how you want it cooked, then give you the meat & bun (almost 1/2 lb of meat). You go to a kind of a salad bar & fix it the way you want it, also beans, fries, etc, all you want. 'Course, you can also get steaks & they have them displayed in a case so you pick the one you want!

8. My FAVORITE HAMBURGERS are the ones I fix at home.

Felix's Tattoo and jwrauch like this.
  9. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

Most Burger Kings use instant (yech) Lipton sweet tea.

jwrauch likes this.
  10. PaleHawkDown

I fixed patty melts on the griddle last night with onions and peppers from our garden. Delicious.

11. BK never did patty melts. Not ever. Got to use caramelized YELLOW onions, real dairy butter and fresh rye bread!! Crispy fried bacon optional.

jwrauch likes this.
  12. PaleHawkDown

I don't recall ever saying they did. I was just saying I made some the other day. Vidalia onions and Texas Toast though. I like the Rye myself, but no one else in the family does, and I was cooking for the group.

Sourdough is good too.

13. AK Hunter

AK Hunter G&G Evangelist

You do know Burger King mixes in paraffin in with their burger meat to get the meat to grill right & give it a smoke flavor.

14. Heading to BK now for a Whopper Combo.

This thread made me hungry for one!

Back in the 80's they had a 99¢ Whopper special for a week. I had 4 a day for 5 days. All I ate that week.

15. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

it isn't paraffin it's propylene glycol same thing most candy makers use as a binding agent.
    it gives that whipped fluff center it's whipped fluffiness.
    it is what makes those darker caramelized stripes on their burgers.

the non food grade version is [well was] used as an anti freeze in sprinkler systems.

either way, i'll take a whopper over most anyplace else that hands me food out a window in 2 minutes or less.

Huey Rider likes this.
  16. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

When I make a hamburger at home I use good lean ground chuck. I have a patty press so it smashes the down to where it will stick together really well. I use a lump charcoal (not kingsford) or the pellet grill because No self respecting human uses gas:p:p:p:p.
    I like Romaine lettuce, three slices of thick center cut pepper bacon, sharp cheddar or swiss cheese, Vlassic dill pickle slices or Hatch green chilis. Sometimes I like to put some fresh sliced jalapeno peppers on there for some more bite. If i'm putting the pickles on it then i'll use Hunt's Ketchup because I refuse to give John Kerry or his wife Teresa Heinz a penny. I will also use a good stone ground mustard.
    If I put the Hatch Green Chilis then I will only add the stone ground mustard.
    For fries we like to wash and peel some spuds and then put them through the fry press/cutter. I I haven't made onion rings in a long time but I have a beer batter recipe that's close to what my great grandmother used.

17. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly G&G Evangelist

I won't eat a burger from any place that puts mayonnaise on a freakin burger. That's a Yankee condiment, that only deserves to be in tuna or chicken salad.

I had a #5 Whataburger meal last night with grilled jalapeno's. It was rather tasty!

18. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Me too. Quarter pound hand-pressed patties of 85% - 15% beef-to-fat, seasoned before being pressed. Lately I've been using Montreal Steak Rub for that. Cooked on aluminum foil on a propane grill. Cook at 450 to 500 degrees, flipping every 2 minutes, for 8 minutes. Add cheese on top (I favor provolone, Her Imperial Majesty and Junior like American singles) and cook another 30 seconds to melt the cheese. Put on rolls (I favor Martin's Egg Rolls, but YMMV), adulterate to taste, eat. Have people tell you they have never had a better burger.

I also have been known to cut the last flip by one minute, top the burger with canned mushrooms and minced sweet onion, cook one minute, and then add the cheese on top for 30 seconds. It's worth the effort, from my point of view. I can make better burgers than any fast food joint.

I can also make better Sausage McMuffins with Egg than any McDonalds I have ever been in. However, it requires an oven, a stove, and a panini machine to do it so every comes out at the same time.

19. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

I like mustard AND mayo on my burgers. Mustard on the bun next to the meat & mayo on the other bun as a dressin' for the veggies. Although, I have occasionally ordered it with double mustard.:p