Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new on this forum and new to deer hunthing in general.

I am looking to buy a cheap rifle to go deer hunting. There is no way I am spending a fortune on a rifle this year.

I saw a used mauser 98 (1940) for sale. I spoke to the guy and he says its in excellent condition and very precise. He has been using it every year for the last 10 years. He is asking 350$ CAN for it.

Does it make sense? Or should I go buy a cheap Remington 770 instead.

Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
A 98 Mauser in a chambering suitable for hunting is an excellent choice for hunting, and most would consider it a better choice than a Rem 770.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
The mauser is a great rifle. Just about every modern bolt action based off of it. Except the Remington 770 - they do their own thing. Not sure I like them very much. I would suggest looking at these you can get new for less than you are paying for the k-98:Stevens Model 200 bolt action ~$275, or Weatherby Vanguard ~$400, or Mossberg 100 ATR ~$250-$275, or any other good used modern bolt action. Any of these will make a better hunting rifle than a surplus 98. Think about it - you are giving up over 100 years of bolt action evolution to pick the K98 over the new rifles. Not saying anything against the original - great gun, but many better choices for a hunting rifle. Don't forget, you still have to buy a scope for your rifle. Get the best you can afford. Scope are one of those areas where you really get what you pay for to a certain extent. A couple of the less known bargains out there are Sightron and Mueller. I own both and I would put either up against the more well known makers.

Good Luck.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
The Mauser is an excellent rifle, but it will be cheaper in the long run to buy a new Stevens or Mossy unless the Mauser has already been scoped. To scope one, the bolt handle has to be modified and the receiver drilled and tapped for the mount, the new guns are already set up for scope mounting.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
for a hunting rifle, a new stevens package gun will beat the pants off of a surplus mauser. the mauser is a great rifle, but for what you want its not the best first choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the much needed advice!

I will check out Stevens and see If I can get a good price.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
Aren't Canadian dollars and US dollars pretty much even at the moment?

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Aren't Canadian dollars and US dollars pretty much even at the moment?
Yes they are, I think that $350 for a Mauser is pretty steep unless it's a real collector. I'm looking at a Carl Gustaf sporter in excellent cond. for $150.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Depending on the hunting environment not everybody uses a scope. I hunted mainly in brush back in PA when I was younger and there was no reason to have a scope. If I hunted today in my area of NH I would not have a scope. And for those new to rifles/hunting...a scope does not make you shoot better, it helps you see better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts