does replacing part affect value

Discussion in 'M1 Garand' started by douggr, Sep 21, 2010.

1. douggr

douggr G&G Newbie

First, I'd like to thank everyone for setting me straight on my counterbore situation. I should have known better than to think the rifling was re-done. So now that I have my M1, I'm getting the bug to clean her up and make her like new, but I have a few questions about that.

Does replacing original stocks with new stocks increase or decrease the value?

The same goes with the barrel, trigger group, pretty much any parts.

What about mismatched parts? I know my receiver is SA, but I think my trigger group might be Winchester.

I want to have a nice rifle, but I don't want to turn it into something that's worth nothing because I messed around with it.

I know it's going to come down to what did I buy the rifle for. Is it a show piece? Collector's item? Competition Rifle? To be honest I'm not sure at this point. I have wanted a Garand since I was a kid and saw pictures of my grandfather with his. I plan on shooting it at the range, but I don't do any competitions. I may even consider using it for deer hunting, although the thought of carrying a nine pound rifle in the woods doesn't sound like fun.

Thanks for any input. I'm headed to the bookstore and gun store to see if I can find any literature on Garands.

2. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

For the most part, the more original parts, the more valuable, and the more desired by collectors. This collector term is used loosely, since many 'collectors' have run of the mill reworked Garands in the collections. There are high end collectors that will go just after originals, but their collections are usually way beyond what the normal street guy can afford. I would venture to say 95% of Garands went thru rebuild, thus have a mixture of parts. Hunting down original parts for the maker and replacing the parts can get quite costly and does not reflect in the new value. If your gun is a shooter, I would leave as it is. Unless you find a good GI stock, I would not replace yours. Since there are usually a mix of parts on rebuilt rifles it could cost a small fortune to replace trigger mechanisms, bolt, barrel, op-rod etc. Plus you would have to hunt for the right era, and not only the manufacturer. Overall it would not add to the value or desirability.

3. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

Well, if it was me, I would save all the money you are going to spend on new parts and shoot her as she is.

Or just buy a Boyd's stock and keep the one it has now in a safe place.

4. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

Competitions aren't about beating the guys around you, but making yourself a better shooter.. They're very fun and VERY educational about your rifle and shooting it..

I'd save the money spent to try to make it "Correct" and spend it on ammo.. Enjoy what you have..

If you can trade parts even up to make your rifle better or more correct, go for it.. The Winchester trigger group is something that most (including myself) would trade to make our Winnies more correct, and most would gladly trade a SA trigger group for a Winnie.. It's basically helping each other out at no more cost than shipping.

5. LarBar

LarBar G&G Regular

Doug
    Learn everything you can and scrounge up on the Garand.
    There are some great books out by Duff and I recommend.
    The guys Im sure can send a link.

My Garand supposedly was a Merrill Marauder with
    the stamp on stock of MM. I didnt buy it for that reason.
    I did rid the stock for a new Boydes and have changed
    a few parts. My goal was to own a Garand and I got
    what I have. A good shooter I can take to the field.

Welcome to the Crazy world of Garand

6. My Garand is a Federal Ordinance rehab, and not anywhere close to being a collector's item. But, boy is she a joy to shoot, and I don't have to worry about it if I get a ding on her.

Michael

7. douggr

douggr G&G Newbie

Thanks for all the info and advice. I appreciate it. I took my Garand to a local gunstore today to show it to the owner and see what I can learn. Apparently I have an SA Garand that was left in Korea after the war and then bought back through a distributor in Massachusetts after 1987. The receiver was built in Feb 1945, and the barrel is from SA from 1966. The trigger group is Winchester, but the hammer is from SA. OH, the walnut stock is mismatched too. Not exactly a show piece, but the guy said it was in great shape otherwise and I should shoot the hell out of it. My plans exactly! I am going to replace the stock, as I found a small crack inside the receiver area when I took it apart. This weekend is the first time I'm going to shoot it! Wish me luck!

Thanks again,
    -Doug

8. LarBar

LarBar G&G Regular

Doug
    keep us all posted on your great find and your first time shootin her.
    I myself am going to the range this sunday to thro a few down range.
    Got blessing from the wife to head north for a CMP match.

Dont ask------I think its costin me more jewelery.
    josh **** bling crap

Hey, is there bling for Garands?

9. Laufer

Laufer G&G Enthusiast

A quite knowledgeable friend told me that having all SA (etc) parts, (non-matching) instead of just the action and barrel could really increase my rifle's value.

Although an SA op rod and trigger group might be at no cost, I would rather have him use spare time next summer to buy me a second Garand-he bought my first in late July at Camp Perry. I gave him 160 rds. as thanks.
    He has won over a dozen Garands as prizes in AR matches, and has an excellent eye for value, not just TE/ME etc.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  10. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Having all SA but not correct SA parts will never increase the value of your rifle unless you replace them with early ,hard to find expensive parts and then the rifle will never be worth more than the sum of parts.

So you could have a rifle with a total value of $1000.00 in parts on a $700.00 rifle.
    Noone would pay the $1000.00 unless they were really looking for those parts and needed them.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010