close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Doglips VS the MAS...

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

This probly should go into the humor form..But since its true...and there are some lessons to be learned Ill put it here.

After the results I got with Iron sites I decided that the MAS 36 in 308 needed a scope...incase the Chinese invade and my blind in one eye self was needed as a sniper to fend off the hoard :)

I ordered the B-Square "No Gunsmith" required mount....So I smiply put it on....which involved a hammer, Dremmel tool then Bigger hammer...more dermal at higher speed....realy big hammer...bad words..bad words.....finaly it fit like a dream.

Then came the part of put the scope on the mount...Whelp 3 sets of rings and 3 scopes later (see French firearm form for that adventure).

Finally a quick bore site well sitting at the dinning room table...hum of a few inches (looking through barrel and scope) at 15 feet but close enough...bore snake it and went to bed.... In a Hops #9 induced fantasy dream of 1/4 inch groups at 10,000 yards, wondering if I was too old to go through Sniper school again. Left-handed this time...you know the dreams.

Set up some 25 meter pistol targets out at a 100 yards.... popped off 3 quick shoots...check target...grab spotting scope and check target...walk out and look at target...not a single hole.
    Bore site once more.... remove scope and adjust the mount as it was 4 ft high and 5 foot right of the target at 100 yards.... (Few inches at 15 feet = lots of space at 100 yards)...to adjust the Allen screws on the mount (The b-square mount replaces the rear site. held by 1 pin near the rear of the mount, Allen screws on each tip stabilize it and allow for ruff adjustments (like a Sea Saw type set up). bore site and THEN tightened everything down...duh repeat missing the targets completely...
    Set up BIG Q targets at 25, 50 and 100 meters.... 25 yard first...3 shoots.upper right hand corner of the target...start adjusting with the scope settings.... get it set.go to the 50 yard/meter repeat process...finaly on the 25 yard pistol taret set at 100 yards (Ill attach the pic.) I do the final adjustment... after 1 1/2 hours and 60 rounds of ammo, and lots of bad words :)
    In the end the 100-yd/meter groups was good for a 56 yr old (1936) French rifle using surplus ammo.

What I learned. No gunsmith mounts AREN'T!
    If the designers of a rifle wanted to have a scope...then it would come with one.
    Mounting a scope takes X amount of time...you can spend that time on the workbench or on the range but you will spend X amount of time.
    When you cant hit a 5'x4 piece of paper at 50 yards the whole range will come to watch...once adjusted no one will be around.

Finally when you are missing by a mile...wife and kids will be quietly plinking away and turning the tightest groups of their life’s...and letting you know that your supposed to put holes in the target not just try to scare it with noise :)

Attached Files:

2. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Great story, to read anyway. Glad you figured it out. You should write for 'guntricks'. LOL!

3. wes

wes G&G Newbie

I always laughed in my motorcycle days,when you got something that said,"just bolts on." NOTHING,just bolts on till you drill more holes,make new clamps,tweak it with a hammer,etc.

4. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

just to cool, if you lived near the Cape some of them rocket scientist could have helped. have any function problems??? i have heard they sometimes have chambers that are out of wack.:cool:

5. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Doglips: You're right...this could have been posted in the humor forum, too, because I laughed all the time I was reading about your adventure. Great story and very funny! There was a little bit of "Murphy's Law" going on there.

P.S. Had you been drinking?(ha):D

6. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Been there, Done that (cussing included). I made the mistake of ordering the "No gunsmithing Mauser Universal" scope mount by FAC. Yeah. right. "No Gunsmithing" means you cut four slots in a perfectly good stock. The thing clamps on, and no amount of Blue Locktite and torquing will keep it from walking. Bummer. It's now in the Failed Projects Parts Box. The rifle wears a new stock, and no scope.

7. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Doglips, if you ever need a second job, try writing for a gun magazine. Maybe a "How-Not-To" section?

8. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Dog lips,maybe you and I can get together and write a book. Like, "Gunsmithing for Dummies." Some times I wonder why I thought "fixing" a gun would be so simple.

9. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Calvin and Wes...we could make a tv show like that Tim Allen one...home improvement...call it Gun time. Today we will convert the Mosin Nagant into a muzzle loader....now normaly you use 100 grains of powder but we want "more power" so lets jack it up to say..600 grains of FFFg and a 180 grain bullet...we expect around 10,000 fps. :)

10. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Bolts on is just a lure it really means call a machinist

11. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

yeah, just like when the real estate agents call a house "handyman special"; usually means Handyman Construction company!!!:nod:

12. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Handyman-isn't that the man whose house needs work to begin with? Kinda like a mechanic whose car needs repaired, the glass technician with a broken windshield, and the body shop man whose car needs repainted.

:nod: :)