Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our church has a benefit auction every year, complete with a large meal, a theme, and more than a small amount of alcohol. Donations for the auction vary from vacation packages, to home services to loads of gravel to equipment rentals. I have given a Henry rifle 5-6 years now.

At first I gave a simple H001 (all I could afford) and the last couple of years I given an "Evil Roy" carbine. I have learned that if you give something that can't be found at Wal-Mart the bidding tends to get very lively. While the H001 would bring a little more than list price (its for charity) the Evil Roy would bring almost $1000 (I assume the alcohol helps too).

I've done Evil Roys two years in a row (one .22L and one .22 Mag) what (besides the Golden Boys) would be somewhat similar (kind of flashy but not over the top expensive)?

·
God, Guns, Glory
34,755 Posts
How about a Ruger 10-22?

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
15,382 Posts
Our church has a benefit auction every year, complete with a large meal, a theme, and more than a small amount of alcohol. Donations for the auction vary from vacation packages, to home services to loads of gravel to equipment rentals. I have given a Henry rifle 5-6 years now.

At first I gave a simple H001 (all I could afford) and the last couple of years I given an "Evil Roy" carbine. I have learned that if you give something that can't be found at Wal-Mart the bidding tends to get very lively. While the H001 would bring a little more than list price (its for charity) the Evil Roy would bring almost $1000 (I assume the alcohol helps too).

I've done Evil Roys two years in a row (one .22L and one .22 Mag) what (besides the Golden Boys) would be somewhat similar (kind of flashy but not over the top expensive)?
I can't send you a Private Message due to your privacy settings. Please send me one so we can talk.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about a Ruger 10-22?

Its hard to get people to get "free" with the money when they know they are paying a lot more for something they and anyone else can buy - because just as soon as you pay $400 (in the spirit of giving) some A-hole is going to lean over and say "I can buy that same gun at Wal-Mart for $200". If it were a limited edition 10-22 - it might work.

That's why I like the Evil Roy. Everyone knows Henry 22s, but very few people have seen a the Evil Roys sitting on shelves. While they are more expensive than the H001, they are not terrible expensive. I won't run into the issue of donating a $900 gun that only brings $700.

·
Registered
20,081 Posts
The Chiappa Double Badgers and the little Chiappa .22lr M! Carbines are popular around here largely because they aren't something everyone has seen. They aren't as fancy as an Evil Roy but the kitsch factor puts both pretty high.

·
Wonderment :)
33,569 Posts
swedesrus: Sir, :):)

Henry also announced the company was expanding its offerings of .41 Magnum rifles. Earlier this year, the company rolled out the cartridge in the Big Boy Steel. For 2017, the .41 Magnum will also be available in the Big Boy Classic, Big Boy Carbine and Big Boy Steel Carbine

·
Wonderment :)
33,569 Posts
for those wanting :)

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/henry-frontier-carbine-evil-roy-edition/

in CAS history, Evil Roy hits the trail regularly each year, not just to leave other shooters in the dust at matches, but also to put on his highly-regarded traveling shooting schools. When Gene was looking for a company to produce a rimfire lever action that meets his very specific preferences, he chose Henry, and he knew exactly what he wanted. With his background, we were happy to listen.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,357 Posts
I do wish the Henrys weren't so spendy. I paid $500 for my Goldenboy", then a couple weeks later found it elsewhere locally for $400! Hate when that happens.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
I do wish the Henrys weren't so spendy. I paid $500 for my Goldenboy", then a couple weeks later found it elsewhere locally for $400! Hate when that happens.
That seems to ALWAYS happen to me. I scrimp and save for a long time to buy my dream gun, only to find it on sale somewhere a week later for much less. Seems to work that way for ALL of my major purchases.

Reactions: Big Dog
1 - 10 of 10 Posts