Don't be paranoid about this sniper situation.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Oxford, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

With the arrest this morning of two likely suspects in the recent sniping catastrophe, some gun hobbists and others interested in protecting the rights of gun owners may become a little paranoid.

That would be a mistake. We've done nothing wrong. There's no need in acting like we're being picked out as contributing to the snipers cause, or that the gun lobby is in some way responsible for these two killers actions. This simply isn't true.

Sure we collect guns, like to use them legally, learn more about them, and may be active in defending our 2nd amendment rights, but that's no reason to associate us with the low down scum who's been killing innocent victims.

What I'm concerned about is the theory of "self-fulfilling prophesy", whereby if we act like we're guilty of something than others will begin to think maybe there's something we're hiding.

Definitely that's not the case.

Just wanted to put my two cents in on this issue because I've been reading some things which seem a little defensive. We should be celebrating the capture of two very suspicious suspects.

Oxford:fuss:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2002
  2. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Right on Ox. Though we need to fight for our rights as legal gun owners, if we get completely and totally fanatical people will start to think we are looney (which I am, but they don't know that!).

3. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

Looney as can be here also!!

I do applaud the arrests, could not have come any sooner. Koodos to the citizens who helped with all the leads and tips!!

4. Klaus

Klaus Guest

Oxford, I do not quite agree with your assessment of the situation. The dammed media HAVE repeatedly claimed we were responsible for the sniping attacks. I think we do need to be on the counterattack and barrage the " willingly uninformed" liberal types in the media with blunt criticism of their behavior.

5. I just finished listening to Inside Edition and it was quite clear they were/are labeling the .223 caliber bullet as a bullet 'designed to kill'.

They even had their 'experts' comment on what the bullet does....the distance of penetration into a telephone pole and they had an animated video gruesomely (to the liberals and mainstrream public) illustrating the effect of the bullet as it breaks apart and travels through the body on a wobbly course.

I agree with Klaus that the liberal media is tearing this one apart and loud enough that the law makers will have to listen or be acused of ignoring the situation. Afterall, this whole scenaro unfolded in the back yard of Washington.

I agree with Oxford that we are law abiding people and I, too, tried not to become too pesimistic hoping that cooler heads will prevail amongst our elected officials.

Unfortunately I see a new and revitalized interest in some sort of ban in the aftermath of the sniper case.

On another program an FBI chief was asked about stiffer penalties (suggesting that a change in prosecution laws might be an answer) and he commented, rightly so, "How much stiffer can you get than with the death penalty?"

With the average....scared outta their pants...... DC area citizens hearing all this there's going to be some screaming that Congress, the White House, etc. are not going to be able to pretend doesn't exist.

I hope, as we all do, that this will all pass over without any fallout but, I try to be a realist and the realist in me sees this as the perfect time and opportunity for the anti-gun law makers to make their moves.

Especially, when, and if, the politically motivated high ranking police officials jump on the band wagon.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2002
  6. Klaus

Klaus Guest

I think citizens of DC should be encouraged to buy weapons for self defence against people like this. They KNOW that COPS can't protect them, so let them defend themselves, dammit!

7. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

yea !!! hell yea!!!

8. I can speculate but to me it would be interesting to know why this guy selected the Maryland, Virginia, DC area as his theater of operations.

9. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

I agree with both sides in ways. Libs think we are all snipers now. To fight it outright and make a scene could be mis-construed to their advantage.

But I also agree with Klaus...it's time to shut the misconceptions down once and for all.....

Both have their merits in my opinion...

10. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

Actually gun sales in that area went up 300%. The applications for CCw went from one every other day to 68 last Friday alone. So people do get the hint - you and only you are responsible for your saftey. But getting the media to cover that story is like getting Congress to pass a drug prescription bill.

A pinko liberal wussy at work asked what good would a gun do you if you were the target, well it won't do you any good if your already shot but if your a witness or you see the bast*rd before he pulls the trigger at least you have a fighting chance. And wouldn't you rather have a fighting chance or just stand there and get shot like a pinko liberal wussy.

11. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

There's some good points that have been made by you guys but hey...don't anyone sell me short or take me wrong. My guns are loaded and I'm willing to defend the right to own and use them.

What I'm not going to do, though, is act like I or anyone else on this forum is guilty of something, which we aren't.

What I am going to do is to continue my support for 2nd amendment rights and the pursuit of the right to carry.

Any uninformed liberal critics who want to draw me into an argument about the right to own & use assult rifles or any other gun can stick it in their ears as far as I'm concerned.

Oxford:fuss:

12. dhermesc

dhermesc G&G Evangelist

Had to laugh when I watched the DC Mayor explain how with the sniper on the loose the police couldn't guarentee the safety of the public. When the he11 COULD they guarentee public safety? Especially in the MURDER CAPITAL of the world?