close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Don't know if its true

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by SPOCAHP ANAR, May 10, 2002.

1. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

Could be a rumor or may be factual, but funny nonetheless.

A man calls 911 and says someone is breaking into his shed/house. " No units are available at this time" the operator responds.

The man calls back in a minute and tells the operator to take their time bc he has shot the intruder.

Two minutes later 3 squad cars show up along with a "special response" unit and arrest the criminal still trying to break into the unit.

"I thought you said you shot him!" said the Officer in charge.

" I thought you said there was no one available!" said the man.

2. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

It could be an urban myth but it could be true -- many times I told people if they had a prowler to call and say "I smell smoke" fire department response is 3 minutes in most areas and a siren is a great deterant versus LEO's response which could be 30 minutes to several hours depending on priority calls for service.

3. That sounds about right.
    When I was on the force we had dispatchers that seemed to think that a noise complaint was more important than breakin in progress. and others that just took them as they came in if your cat was in the tree and you called before the robery in progress you got a car first.
    This is not the NORM. there are alot of good dispatchers out there that do know how to prioritize but this storie if true would not surprise me in the least.

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I've heard this one alot lately, and it is indeed on the Urban Myth site (www.snopes2.com). Still a good one, though.
    The one time I had to call 911, the fire truck got there in five minutes, the EMT's arrived in about fifteen, and we had to talk the Deputy in and he took 25 minutes. Don't know if they ever caught the bad guy, and he was on foot. The dogs and helicopter were busy on another call.

5. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Tell them you THINK an officer has been hurt,they come with everyone,later you can tell them you musta made a mistake.

6. Don't do the "I smell smoke" thing. I don't carry on duty with the FD. We don't want to run into hostile gun fire just the red stuff!

7. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Liveing in a small town who's police chief was indiceted for racateering about 7 yrs ago and 2 nearby police chiefs have been arressted but as the news said the charges were droped for DUI...I often find myself woundering if the road officers dont just give up. I mean if I call 911 and they just missed the bad guy...who can say that they could have goten their quicker. I mean from their point of view...why rush into danger only to have the bad guy get out of jail before you get done with the paper work....or like that post about sex offender getting only $5000 bail...I believe that we now.. as in the days of old must be prepared to defend ourselfs and our familys...course on this board this makes senze..the sheep that sit at home and think guns bad and 911 calls are good welp thats their choice.

8. My girlfriend works for the Sherrifs Dept here and has done several jobs there including dispatcher and 911 operator. I hear the stories all the time. You're right about response time on most of the calls. The dispatcher may not realize the urgency on some of them and it could take up to two hours for a deputy to get to a call. Most (not all) are good at listening to a call and asking the right questions. Even the tone of the callers voice may get a cop there more quickly but one thing is for sure. If ANY type of weapon is involved, they are dispatched immediately. If I hear a noise in my yard, I get a gun first and then call 911. It may take only a few minutes for a cop to get here, but a hell of a lot could happen it just a few minutes