Don't mess with Dixie!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by grizcty, Jan 10, 2017.

1. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory

This is a EXCELLENT example, of a deadly reactionary point and shoot.
    He did what he had to, and was able to go home that night.
    You mess with Dixie, and you die!

WARNING GRAPHIC!

MABLETON, Ga. -- The owner of a gun shop who shot back against two armed suspects is speaking out after the incident, saying he had no choice but to fire at the men, killing one.

Bullet holes are still visible on the front on the Dixie Gun and Pawn shot Monday night after what detectives describe as a gun battle broke out earlier in the day.

Police said two armed men burst in Jimmy Groover’s store in broad daylight Monday and held the gun store owner at gunpoint.

“Get down on the floor, get down on the floor or I’ll kill you,” Groover recalled the suspects telling him. “Then they shot at me.”

[​IMG]
    (Photo: Tyson Paul, WXIA)

What the men weren't aware of is that Groover had a gun of his own. Feeling like his life was on the line, he pulled the trigger, shooting and killing one of the suspects. The other is still on the run.

Groover returned to his Cobb County business after the ordeal and showed detectives and family members how he pulled the gun off his hip to defend his life.

“I had no other choice. I had no other choice. I hate that it happened,” he told 11Alive. “I've been doing this 30 years. Nothing like this has ever happened. I never wanted this to happen but I want to go home at night, too.”

PHOTOS | Mableton gun store robbery

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    This is not the first time this gun and pawn shop has been burglarized. In fact, it’s happened around 20 times. Groover has added security cameras, bars on the windows and keeps all guns in safes at night in efforts to thwart would-be-criminals.

But police said these two suspects acted in broad daylight and friends and family call it tragic for everyone.

“They tell you they're going to kill you. That's what they told the man,” said one of Groover’s friends, who was at the scene. “Come in with two guns, tell you they're going to kill you. He's got grandbabies and family. You got to have some compassion. I've known this man all my life.”

Even hours after the shooting, for Groover, words were hard to come by.

“I hate it. I really do,” he repeated. “I hate it. I hate it bad.”

Detectives told 11Alive’s Duffie Dixon it is unlikely the owner of this shop will be charged because he acted in self-defense.

The other suspect is still on the run and is wanted by police.

(© 2017 WXIA)

2. Jaison

Jaison Clearly in over my head Forum Contributor

Both men are lucky to be alive. The second robber (not burglar) is, as well.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

3. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I've been in dedicated gun stores big and small (big retail super giant chain stores like Gander Mt. and Cabelas don't count) in several different states in the north and south, and even a good ways west... and in EVERY SINGLE ONE of them, the guy behind the counter (or guys and gals if it's a bigger store) have ALWAYS had guns on them either concealed or open carry. and further more probably most of the customers too (some more so in certain states)

It's almost like a universal thing.

For a criminal to just walk into a gun store and expect to have their way thinking they are going to go rob a bunch of unarmed sheep.... you gotta be an extra special kind of friggin stupid...o_O

Like, If I was the idiot bad guy thinking on places of where I could go do a day time commercial robbery during open business hours... I'd probably rank it way down on the list somewhere between Korean owned liquor store in a bad part of town and a police station. lol :p

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Bvhawk, ChaZam, CountryBoy and 13 others like this.
  4. Jaison

The clinical part of me wants to know what pistol, caliber and ammo that fellow uses.

Plus, that whole scenario puts to rest the question of whether or not silhouettes are proper training targets.

5. Bigfoot

Bigfoot G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Now this shop owner must live his life with the scars of the deadly results of the thug mentality and the rewards it quite often delivers to it's communities? I prey the good Lord heals all who must deal with the aftermath these thugs impose on society .

Bvhawk, ChaZam, CountryBoy and 4 others like this.
  6. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

At my local gun shop, which is a family owned business, there are about six people who work behind the counter (not all at the same time). Each one has a CCW and they all have something on their hip. Not always the same pistol, either. In fact, you can get a good tutorial on what's a good carry gun and what isn't just by talking to the folks behind the counter on what they carry and why, and why they aren't carrying [fill in the blank] any more. They have their favorites and like any other shooter they have their opinions, but if you ask you will get a sound education on why they prefer the pistols they do.

CountryBoy, cjleete, neophyte and 3 others like this.
  7. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Glad the good guys are ok. He saved his own life and the life of others. If I go the rest of my life without shooting someone, great. But I will do what I have to do when the time comes.

Bvhawk, ChaZam, CountryBoy and 5 others like this.
  8. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

That is the proper mindset!

I'm glad the store owner was not injured. The bad guy got what he deserved, and the other one was lucky he got away.

ChaZam, CountryBoy, Cyrano and 2 others like this.
  9. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

You beat me to it. When I got to this line:

I thought, man, that's like going into a shoe store and expecting the employees to be barefooted..

ChaZam, cjleete, neophyte and 3 others like this.
  10. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

One of the best deterrents I've seen is a gun shop with a full body silhouette hanging on the wall with all the bullet holes centered on the crotch. Above it is a sign that says, "CRIMINALS BEWARE: The woman at the register may look sweet, but she's armed and ready."
    Someone wrote under it, "One way or another you will be removed from the gene pool."

ChaZam, Ten Man and neophyte like this.
  11. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

Alberta
    Didn't look graphic to me. Kept his cool, nice shooting.

Interview is up:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Bvhawk, ChaZam, PAPA G and 2 others like this.
  12. Cleburne

Cleburne G&G Addict

Looked like the owner was using a 1911. Wonder what caliber it is.

PAPA G and Jaison like this.
  13. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

There are SOME individuals on this Forum would take umbrage at such a misguided musing!! LOL

14. Jaison

Anybody able to screen shot that pistol with enough detail to tell the make?

PAPA G likes this.
  15. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

What difference does the cartridge make? As long as the shooter, maintains his cool,

Rocky7 likes this.
  16. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

None for what he was doing, but as I said, there are some 1911 fanatics that would be very upset about the question of a 1911 being any other cartridge than 45 AUTO. LOL

CountryBoy and PAPA G like this.
  17. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    It appears to me to be a two tone(stainless/blued) 1911. Not sure of caliber and don't know how many shots he fired. That bad guy dropped like a stone and never moved. The caliber and make/model does not make any difference except to satisfy curiosity. He could have used a Hi Point or Mosin Nagant revolver for all I care. His attitude was good. He hated that, he hated doing it. He didn't want to do it but he saved his life and others. We all should have that same type of attitude. JMOA

CountryBoy likes this.
  18. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Wait a minute, it was a white guy shooting a black thug? HATE CRIME!

Didn't he know Black Lives Matter?:rolleyes:

Now what kind of idiots rob a pawn shop that sells guns? I almost guarantee them somebody there is carrying.

19. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

I know , I know!!!! "Black Lives Matter" idiots! :D:D:D:D

PAPA G likes this.
  20. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Oops, I'm 100% sure that it isn't that ... Right @gandog56 ...