close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Doomsday Preppers

Discussion in 'Survival Discussions' started by Habakkuk21, Sep 8, 2014.

1. The_Doctor

The_Doctor G&G Enthusiast

73 de VE3GUN

The_Doctor

2. Habakkuk21

Habakkuk21 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

You're a VEGAN?

3. Habakkuk21

Habakkuk21 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Actually, I know that's yer handle. My dad was WB4LJD, which I know because it was his car tag as well, and I drove his car to get my driver's license in 1970.

neophyte and The_Doctor like this.
  4. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Is that your call sign?
    We have a Canadian member/neighbor here, who has a similar call sign.

5. Mantrid_Brizon

Mantrid_Brizon G&G Evangelist

I eat paranoia for breakfast, but I would (hopefully) never get THAT bad. I don't believe half of them are true peppers anyway because they virtually all break the Golden rule of OpSec. To me it's just a really entertaining infomercial, with other commercials squeezed in between.

jwrauch and CountryBoy like this.
  6. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

The ones that have the big underground shelters built are hilarious. Everyone in the area knows where they are and no matter how well constructed they are built they still need a fresh air supply>>> they could be smoked out or gassed. Scrubbers and filters will only last so long. JR

Mantrid_Brizon and CountryBoy like this.
  7. The key to any bunker is escape tunnels....and armored shooting loop/port holes. I refuse to be trapped like a rat, I'll always have an exit strategy.

jwrauch and Ron Eagle Elk like this.
  8. Sam Ruger

Sam Ruger G&G Addict

“Doomsday preppers seldom prepare for what will happen. They prepare for their worst fear of what can happen which often has little basis in reality.”

Survival Rule #2 from "The War of Mankind" by I.M. Anonymous available on Amazon kindle.

neophyte and jwrauch like this.
  9. Sam Ruger

Sam Ruger G&G Addict

LOL! I still remember that episode! He was full tilt Bozo!

neophyte, jwrauch and CountryBoy like this.
  10. Dang this is a old one !......... Yes I still keep enough food on hand to out last most folks & enough Guns & Ammo to fend off most folks !...............

animalspooker, Jaison, TXplt and 4 others like this.
  11. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I used to watch it just to see if I could pick up a tip or two. They were really over the top and actually quite hysterical and stupid most of the time. I got the impression that they picked those people to make true, realistic preppers look bad so as to discourage folks from prepping so the government could have more control in a SHTF situation.

rockman7, Bvhawk, TXplt and 5 others like this.
  12. CountryBoy

CountryBoy G&G Evangelist

Well, it's still a free country so those folks can spend as of their money on whatever pleases them. It is amazing at how much some of them invest. But, that's sort of like I post I made in another thread. If I had the money I'd buy a mountain or an island and you'd never see or hear from me again. No difference really in me and them.

It is TV (entertainment) ya know. It would be a boring show if it were all the common everyday working man they filmed. I guess you could say "Moderate" preppers. LoL

13. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Biggest problem is these "preppers" are letting everyone know where they are, what the have, and what 'security' they have. Big mistake. Come Judgement Day, the bandits will strip them bare.

Jaison, jwrauch, Huey Rider and 3 others like this.
  14. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

I still think a wind up watch needs to be part of your survival gear. A huge EMP will toast the electric watches and you won't know when it's time for lunch.

Cyrano, Jaison, neophyte and 3 others like this.
  15. Big Dog

Magnetizing a mechanical watch will freeze it, too.
    Best put it in a Faraday Cage.

neophyte likes this.
  16. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

I guess you'll have to kill everyone you've told when SHTF actually happens. That's my plan anyway.

Jaison and neophyte like this.
  17. Big Dog

Even my sister and closest buddies don't know I prep. Being The Gray Man is a life choice. Anything less puts you and your family in danger.
    I do have multiple "BOBs" and other things squirreled away for them. They just don't know it yet.

18. I watched a couple of the uber prepper shows to see if they might possibly have something remotely close to a bright idea. By the time they were over I hadn't found anything to take away other than sore ribs from laughing.

Honestly...if you're going to prep, be smart about it. Have a workable plan. And above all...use some common sense!

Store enough food for your family in small cans, bags and boxes for a year or so, but plan to supplement it with fresh as growing, hunting and fishing seasons come around. Don't waste your money on #10 cans of food that will spoil without refrigeration.

Start growing a garden now to learn how. See what varieties of veg do well in your area, then dry and store the seeds from those varieties for a couple of years to get the hang of it. Don't rely solely on seeds you bought who knows when once the SHTF.

Take some classes through a historical site to learn how to cook over a wood fire. Learn some skills you can use to barter services for goods with if you need them. Take up a hobby that can translate later into a useful skill. Just make sure it's suitable for where you live. If you live in the south where winter doesn't really happen, for cripes sake, don't learn how to build an igloo!

Long before I became concerned with prepping, I was a historic re-enactor. I learned all kinds of neat and nifty skills because they were historical and I was curious. I wanted to know and experience how things were done. Now I'm glad I did because I've got an amazingly eclectic set of skills that will help keep us in food and supplies. As I get older, they'll help me live in comfort because not only will I be able to do them, I can teach how to do them.

neophyte, rockman7, TXplt and 4 others like this.
  19. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

All of these "reality shows" are noting more than entertainment. We have cut back to basic Direct TV lately to save a few $$ so I was watching "Dirty Jobs" to kill a little time before Mrs R and I went out to do some shopping. Alaskan Bush people came on next and I don't see any way in hades that those bozzos should really be able to survive in the wild.

neophyte, CountryBoy and TXplt like this.
  20. Big Dog

"Mountain Men" on History Channel is better.
    One oldtimer has an old Willys Jeep Truck modded to run on woodngas. Pretty neat.
    I have gotten hooked on watching "Naked & Afraid". Though, it seems almost criminal what they put some of those people through. Some come back with diseases, parasites, and other health problems. They go through Hell. Haven't yet figured out what they win other than bragging rights if they go the full 21 days.
    The "XL" version has 9 people starting out, to go 40 days in the Amazon.
    Sometimes the couple come up with good ideas, like the gal who fashioned a water filtration system.
    A guy showed how to slow bake unripe bananas to make them sweet enough to eat. Some make traps on land and fishtraps in water. One gal speared a small Caiman.
    But, one guy on XL nlew his knee out on his first day, and had to be evaced.
    The camera crew does not help them, the contestants are truly going through Hell on the show.
    And no, you can't see their "naughty bits", they fuzz it out on screen. :cool:

TXplt, neophyte and CountryBoy like this.