Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Below $500

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited this antique gun from my grandfather; it is 57 3/4 inches long (barrels are 40 3/4 inches); has an oak ram rod attached; it has the name Isaac Philips inscribed on the silver plate above the triggers. The plate between the barrels has the word warranted inscribed in the metal. The butt plate and the trigger assembly seem to be brass/gold-colored. The inner diameter of the barrels is about 5/8 inches. Both hammers lock and set in both positions and are released well with each of the triggers. I have not attempted to recondition this gun in any way. Would you know what kind of gun this is and the best way to describe it? Would you know the country and approximate date in which it was manufactured? What is the value of this gun?

Attachments

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
37,095 Posts
Maybe 28 guage? Bigger than a .410, smaller than a 20 guage.

·
Registered
21,264 Posts
1840s to early 1860s. Isaac Phillips was the maker of the lock, and as far as I can tell he was a British gunsmith.
Phillips doesn't seem famous enough to have a cult following to the extent of some others.
Since I can't find this exact gun, or even other guns from this maker all I can do is provide a guess based on guns meeting similar criteria.
Similar guns in good condition seem to run around $400, but it is hard to give a price as these things are worth what someone wants to pay for them.
I've seen similar guns go as high as $1000, but around here I generally see similar shotguns from the era from gunsmiths of similar standing at around $200.

It's not much help, but I couldn't find much info on your actual gun and I've got stacks of books on the subject.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1840s to early 1860s. Isaac Phillips was the maker of the lock, and as far as I can tell he was a British gunsmith.
Phillips doesn't seem famous enough to have a cult following to the extent of some others.
Since I can't find this exact gun, or even other guns from this maker all I can do is provide a guess based on guns meeting similar criteria.
Similar guns in good condition seem to run around $400, but it is hard to give a price as these things are worth what someone wants to pay for them.
I've seen similar guns go as high as $1000, but around here I generally see similar shotguns from the era from gunsmiths of similar standing.

It's not much help, but I couldn't find much info on your actual gun and I've got stacks of books on the subject.
thank you so much

1 - 4 of 4 Posts