Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see DPMS rifles going for as little as $600! With Forged receiver! Are these weapons any good or are they the Century Arms of the AR world?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,699 Posts
DPMS is one of the better makers, on a par with Olympic Arms, who also offer a cheaper AR. I think prices are dropping now partly due to the AWB ending.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank heavens I didn't buy earlier. Might just wait a few more months before buying an AR. So far, I have a 4 gun wish list. FN FAL, CZ52, Yugo SKS and AR of sorts - in 6x45 calibre - with an extran 5.56 upper of course...

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I'd suggest getting an AR in the original 5.56x45 Caliber and then adding an upper in 6x45. I expect you'll spend far less that way. If you find an Ar that is what you really want and is $600, that's a good deal and I wouldn't recommend waiting expecting prices to drop. Good luck!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks BRG3. I'll follow that route then. Nice thing about the 6x45 is that it uses the same mags, cases, bolt etc. So reloading shouldn't be a big deal.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I just bought a DMPS AR receiver this weekend. Plan on seeing how good I am at the build your own AR thing! Luckily, I have another AR as a blueprint, but I am sure I will be posting questions in the near future! ;)

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I built my first AR having never fired one before. I had explicit directions from Arf.com and it worked out perfectly. You should do great. Good luck building!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
BRG I might decide to do it sometime in the next 6 months or so (as funds & time will allow - with a cali legal receiver and fixed mag of course). How long do you estimate it will take ? also what's that website again ? it's taking me to some investment firm.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
www.dpmsinc.com
I got the investment firm all the time until I started remembering the Inc at the end.

How long does it take? Some have done it in a half hour with prior experience. With a Kali-legal fixed mag receiver, you don't have to install the bolt catch, so there's one thing down. I'd say an hour or two, depending on how careful you are and how mechanically inclined you are. I took my good old time and I think I took a couple hours. I had never even fired an AR-15 before.

Go to www.ar15.com, they have a pdf tutorial.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts