Dragunov Accuracy?

Discussion in 'AK47' started by 9mmXDm, Sep 27, 2010.

1. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

So after seeing a forum members Dragunov rifle it got me really ramped up to get one myself. I have seen them many times before but for some reason theirs just screamed I have to have one of these at some point.

I already have plenty of Mil surplus ammo to go around for it as I have to Mosin Nagants.

What kind of accuracy are you guys/gals getting with your Dragunov rifles?

-50 yards
    -100 yards
    -300 yards

Also what ammo are you using for target? Just Mil surplus or a factory load?

My goal is to be able to shoot long range 300yards minimum. I want to get accurate in all range from 50-300 but my upper level of 300 is where I'd like to be.

I would like to target shoot with this rifle and also I may try to get into deer hunting with it. If anyone of you that does have one uses this rifle for Deer speak up and tell me your experiences.

I'm asking about accuracy because of this thread here, Rifles - Dragunov Sniper
    Now I have to take it with a grain of salt I know, but it got me wondering anyways.

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  2. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Evangelist

I don't have one, but officially, REAL Dragunovs get 600m-800m kills. Priced from $1500-3000.

PSLs (much much cheaper knock offs) get minute of man to 400 yards or so. Priced from $400-800.

They are good for what they are.

Dragunov sniper rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PSL (rifle) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can see there isn't a HUGE difference in design. Drags have much heavier (and better) barrels, and take different (stronger) magazines.

I'm not the resident Drag or PSL expert, but I thought I could hold you over till they chime in.

I believe CR107 is the only one to have actually owned a Drag, Russian Tiger (obtained for $1800 I think). He posted some pics of targets shot at 100 yards. There were groups of 5 shots all touching. Very impressive.

3. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

Yeah the one I am looking at is $450 and will need to be shipped to an FFL. At $450 I suspect it to be a PSL. Even though they state Dragunov on the site.

Thank you for the information.

4. ackspac

ackspac G&G Newbie

My guess is your looking at Centerfires PSL's.
    For $450, you really cant beat it.
    Dont expect to hit a quarter at 200 yards.
    This firearm was designed to hit a human sized targets at long range.

5. BarryHalls

+1

Correct on all accounts.

A decent PSL in the hands of a marksman, while no precision rifle, will put a man down at 500m or so. That's a lot of umf for $450.

6. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

The SVD. My Uncle has a real "Tigr", I can tell you this much about them. Forget the MilSurp ammo. 3 to 4" MOA at best, but the groups will close up some at distance. In that respect, they're like the Steyr SSG "Green machine". If you can get match grade ammo for it (Not likely), or you hand load for it, They are EXTREMELY accurate. I was able to make a once in a lifetime shot with my uncles with hand loaded ammo that was loaded for that particular rifle. (My uncle is the one who hung "Dragunov" on me). They are superb hunting rifles and if hand loaded ammo is used, DEADLY accurate (WELL under MOA). My Uncle payed $4200 for his. It was in unissued condition and had never had a single round fired through it when he got it. He ditched the scope and bought a new $2000 Ziess scope for it. Worth the money ONLY if you're willing to hand load for it. The heavier range bullets work best for distance and the lighter range shoot much flatter for <500 meter shots.

7. BarryHalls

^^

Well said.

DANG what a price lol. $6k on a rifle, but, for a super reliable 900m rifle. . . they are hard to beat.

Officially, they've killed men at 1200m+. . . That's just wicked.

Still, I'll take a AR-10.

8. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

The other question becomes... How easy is Centerfire Systems to deal with? Are they reliable? Are they reputable? Do they sell decent firearms?

I'm by no means looking to hit a quarter at any distance. I am by no means that good and don't truly ever expect to get that good. I would like to be able to hit a target at the range at 300 yards and if I want to try my hand at deer hunting would like to be able to take that shot at a reasonable distance.

I am by no means going to be spending $2k on a scope either. Maybe if I win the lottery I would. But I don't want a piece of crap either. Under $500 would be nice for a scope that can do 300 yards with a little room to go farther if need be if I find a longer range somewhere.

I am thinking the Mil surplus ammo I have now in the right rifle and one that is scoped could do fairly nicely. For hunting I'd do a factory load of some kind. S&B maybe.

I can't reload as I don't have the equipment, nor the time and patience to deal with it right now. It would be nice, but just not going to happen.

9. RangeShooter

RangeShooter G&G Newbie

If I won the lottery, I'd get one of these just to hang on a wall...lol:
    [​IMG]

10. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Just for the record again...The ROMAK PSL is not a Dragunov. They mislabel them in the ads.A PSL is more of an oversized AK.Magazines are Not interchangeable between the 2 guns , even though they shoot the same ammo.
    A true Dragunov or Tiger Civilian Model is very accurate , especially if you can find the Russian 7N1 ammo that was designed for it. My Tiger shoots MOA with the Russian Sniper scope...

11. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

Same here. However, I wouldn't have a problem turning loose of 6 or 7 G's for the right rifle/scope combo. However, It would have to be an American made rifle.

A REAL SVD is expensive. The "Tigr" is supposedly the "sporter" version of the SVD. The SVD "Dragunov" is gonna run at a similar price, if you can even find a real one. Personally, I'd rather have a custom built .30-06 bolt gun for that same money.

Honestly though? A Marlin XL7 or a tuned Stevens 200 with a good $1000 scope will give you comparable performance for a crapload less money IMHO.

12. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

What would you pay for a Tiger Rifle w/accessories ?

13. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

Hey Moose! If you ever decide you're bored with that Tigr and want to give it away, Box it up and send it to ol' Dragunov and I'll see it's well cared for. BTW...... I'll pay shipping charges. :p :D

14. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

If you're talking to me? I'd have to shoot it first. I'd never buy something like that unless I was able to shoot it first.

15. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Well....If you ever come to Alaska, you can shoot it !!! For about $3,000 , you can take it home with you.

16. BarryHalls

Leupold makes some pretty rugged scopes, and 'last years models' can be picked up and cheaper than dirt and other bargain sites for under $300.

If you dig, that $300'll get you a 4x9x40 with 2 dot reticle. . . that's a lot of scope for the dollar my friend. Rock solid and sharp as a tack too.

You'll need the $50 kalinkas mount. They make some GREAT mounts. I like the ones that still allow for use of the iron sights. For me, the scope is still comfortable, and I have iron for close snap shots.

17. ackspac

ackspac G&G Newbie

I have bought plenty from Centerfire, face to face here in Ky, and never had any issues with them. I would recomend picking up the PSO scope they have for $70 with the PSL.
    This time next year you may not be able to find either one, at least for a good price.

18. BarryHalls

Yeah, the $600 Remington 700 with the $300 scope shoots better than I do, that'll out do me for a while to come.

My next rifle will PROBABLY be 18" heavy barrel AR-10, (not that funky bull crap, but with a brake) but I'm not paying more than $900 for my starter. I'd take DPMS, Stag, or Bushmaster though.

19. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

Sounds like a plan to me! :D

20. Paul T

Paul T G&G Newbie

Jeff, Jeff where are you??? I would love to have a PSl or a ROMAK, I couldnt afford a Dragunov ot the Chinese variant. Accuracy is subject to the shooter on this one in my opinion. I have seen some video of the grouping of various rifles at 100m and above and while not MOA mostly it is still very impressive.
    That barrel oscilates like a wet noodle (see my post "ROMAK 3" in this thread) and the tolerances ar not tight.
    I would not spend the kind of money on one of these to try to make it a tack driver, to me that would be a waste of money and time. If I did it would be a good AR or SCAR in .308 with the right optics.
    If you want a zombie killer or something to play with this would be the ideal rifle because zombies don't care what they get shot with.