close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dressing Rabbits?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Mico, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Mico

Mico G&G Newbie

Newbie to rabbit hunting: How do you prep the critters, once bagged?

TIA

2. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    If nasty cold out carry around till done hunting. If warmer gut while your in the field.
    to gut in field; with sharp knife slit the belly open from the genital area to the neck (don't pierce intestines or stomach), grab a hand full of lung and heart from the diaphragm pulling down.

Once at home, weather gutted or not, hold bunny by rear legs and grab a fist full of fur and start pulling toward head. it comes off very easy, unlike squirrel.

Cut off the tail and notch out the anal/genital area. Keep feces off meat as well as being carefull with the bladder. Twist or cut off the head.

Quarter the carcas with a butcher knife or heavy blade. straight down the back then into 4 even pieces. Clean very well. I sometimes soak for a while in the fridge in a bit of salt water. this is also a good time to pick out shot. (to avoid the dentist)

Something else Iv'e heard done in the field is to "squeeze" the guts out through the anus. Iv'e never tried it due to the wory of goofing up a hard earned rabbit. Also use caution depending on what part of the country you are in with Turmerlia (SP?) a disease apparently carried by some of the species. I have never seen it, but i'm told to look for spots on the liver. I guess they are ok to eat, just need to wear gloves when cleaning.

3. Mico

Mico G&G Newbie

Thanks very much, that was very clear!

4. Same asabove only I don't quarter it. Usually roast them much like a chicken, or cube up a few for stew. I find it usue ful to take another bag along, if you hunt coyote or wolf.
    Put the innards and head in the other bag, then use as bait/scent for the coyotes. Where theres rabbits theres usually coyote, probably wolf, so try to clean them in the same area. the blood, etc, and the smell attract the coyotes, and long after any scraps are gone, the scent remains.
    They will keep dropping every once in a while looking for a free meal, so you have a good starting spot if you hunt the other species.

5. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    great idea! I shot a squirell bow hunting from my stand once and drew a yote. couldn't get a shot at him though. I quarter 'em up just due to freezer space.

6. Re: dressing rabbits

Only thing is: some states the warden would bust you for baiting the coyote. Be careful.