close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Drive to NY or trust UPS?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Pumpkinheaver, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Evangelist

I recently inherited my grandfathers deer rifle, a winchester Model 100 in .308 win. MY question is, do I drive to upstate NY to get it(1,200 Mi.) or do I trust UPS to get it to my local dealer? What are your thoughts on the subject? I know the gun is not worth a great deal but it was my gramps and I don't want anything to happen to it.:assult:

2. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Well that is your choice but they have been careless and many guns have been stolen by UPS employees because they know thye are guns.

3. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

ROAD TRIP!!! have a nice ride see the country, you won't have to mess with dealers, plus you can stop along the way back and pick up other treasures!!!!:nod:

4. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Yes , road trip!!! Too much sentiment to entrust it to the crappy brown truck!

5. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I would recommend UPS, but do it with the next day air option. The rifle will only be in a hub for about 4 hours, while the rest of the time it will be in the air. Lots safer, and things done by air are much more closely monitored because of the guarantee. I wouldn't recommend ground, unless you do the 3-day select service. HTH
    (Used to work for UPS for 8 years)

6. Personally, if it were me I'd enjoy the scenery on the way.

I think, should anything happen to the gun when in the hands of UPS, you'd be kicking yerself for the rest of your life. Sometimes sentimental value is ALL that's important...especially when it comes to family and memories.

I entrusted a steel fishing pole of my kin, that was over 100 years old, to UPS. The pole made it fine but the box/tube looked like some employees had used it as a javelin at the warehouse. Although the pole was fine I now question my judgement on shipping it UPS and if I have alternatives in the future I won't.

I would ask myself, if I were you, how I would feel if the gun were stolen, lost, damaged, destroyed, etc. and just what is the personal value of it worth to you as an individual? And, are you physically and financially up to the trip (a couple hundred dollars for gas and etc. are several meals or a bill or two paid for many people these days)? I think the answers will lead you in your decision?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2002
  7. wes

wes G&G Newbie

I used to work undercover for UPS in loss prevention,take the drive,enjoy yourself. That gun may never have had any paperwork,that's good. I wouldn't trust UPS to get it there,or run the chance of having to do paperwork.

8. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Evangelist

Thanks folks,

I pretty much had my mind made up to drive up there and get it. It's at my aunt's house and is in a safe place. The only problem is that I don't know when I'll have the time to go there. The gun has been a part of my life since I was a little kid, I'd see gramp come home from a hard day of hunting carrying the old rifle. It is the one gun that every one in the family wanted and I never thought I'd get, suprise, suprise, I thought my step dad was pulling a cruel joke on me when he said that gramp specifically left it to me!

9. dave375hh

dave375hh G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Ohio
    I shipped a brng GrIII skeet set with USPS proiorty mail from Ohio to Ill. the cost was half of brown's and it was there in 36 hours. The way UPS treats us I won't use them at all. there is a reason that truck's brown, It'll match when they stick it where the sun don't shine!

Dave375

10. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    gald you decided to drive, yes UPS is funny about the gun business to say the least. keep in mind there are others FED EX,
    DHL etc.. I'd still trust getting it in person.

11. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Depends on what you drive...
    I drive a Bronco II and the thought of a thousand mile trip makes my leg hurt next to my wallet.

12. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Remove wallet.

13. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

fly up and get it and fly back you just need a good case and to declare it I travel with my guns all the time and have never had any problems.

14. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Cheaptickets.com cough cough, buy a case...but again...I would be heart broken if one of those baggage handerlers took it and messed with it! Cause you can tell it if its inside a case!

But same with FedEx, I still do not ship firearms, computer stuff all the time, never firearms.....I would have to go with FedEx, never had a moments trouble...

Best bet...when do you go see the family..not to often? well plan a family summer trip in a few weeks/months and go for it!

15. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    I would definately amke the drive, that way you have personal control over it. If you did ship it, it wouldn't have to go to a dealer, you can have it shipped straight to your house. It only has ot go to an FFL dealer if you are receiving it from another FFL dealer. Good Shooting!

OH, I wouldn't go thru NYC with it...never know, especially since 9/11.

16. EOD Guy

EOD Guy G&G Newbie

Eric,

I don't know where you got the idea that a firearm only has to be shipped to a dealer if it is coming from another dealer. That is not true. In most cases, an interstate transfer of a firearm has to be received by an FFL holder.

In this case however, you are correct that the rifle can be shipped directly to pumpkinheaver. The reason though, is that firearms obtained as a bequest from an estate are exempt from the requirement of being transferred through a licensee.

The rifle would have to be mailed since FedEx and UPS will not accept firearms shipments from a nonlicensee to a nonlicensee. The Post Office only requires that it be a legal shipment under BATF regulations.

17. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    OK,
    I could be wrong, but I think not. We have an FFL (B&G Gun Service). And we ship Guns all over the Country to Non-FFL holders (these are Guns they have shipped us to work on). If we, are building a kit gun for someone and we have to purchase the frame or receiver, we have to ship it to an FFL holder. I sure do hope that we're not wrong. Good Shooting!

18. EOD Guy

EOD Guy G&G Newbie

Eric,
    You are correct. Returning a customer's firearm to them is one of the exceptions in the regulation which allows you to ship to a nonlicensee.

Rich