close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dry Fire Advice

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Lenny, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Lenny

Lenny Guest

I am going to incorporate dry firing into my shooting regimin. Could someone tell me if it is safe to do without a rubber bullet or empty shell casing? I have a Charles Daly .45 Thanks

2. only if you like replacing firing pins.

3. Rocklobster

Rocklobster G&G Newbie

It's perfectly safe. In fact, all my Colt user's manuals recommend dry firing several times after field stripping/reassembly to ensure that you've put it back together correctly.

You'd have to dry fire your gun 88 gillion times to peen the firing pin down enough to require replacement.

4. Rocklobster
    I have about fifteen colt owners manuals from 1958 to 1998 could not find one that said to dry-fire any model.
    As far as peening the firing pin, my gunsmith would tend to disagree since he has replaced at least twenty since December.
    If it was safe they would have never invented snap caps for the45.
    Remember we are not talking about a colt in this post we are talking about a Charles daily. while they are a good copy they are not as strong as the colt and are known around the competition circuit to have weak firing pins.

5. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    The only thing my Colt User's manual says is, "NEVER dry-fire with the slide (upper assembly) removed."

6. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    definetly don't dry fire w/o the slide! OUCH! I agree it can't be god on the fire pin. Snap caps are cheap insurance. I'm a tight wad, I throw an EXPENDED round of EMPTY brass in the old primer will absorb quite a bit more pounding before it is no longer a cushion for the fire pin. paint it blaze orange if need be. If you ever wonder abnout the energy this generates, take a wood dowle, drop it down the barrlel point it up and fire. you will be suprised how far the dowle goes. a #2 pencil does the trick too.
    Ocassionllay I'll function check on an empty chamber after reassembly.

7. Rocklobster

Rocklobster G&G Newbie

Huh...this one's entitled "Colt MK IV/Series 80 Pistols: Government Model, Delta Elite, Combat Elite, M1991A1 Models, Combat Commander, Commander (Lightweight), Officer's ACP".
    Cpoyright 1990 Colt's Manufacturing Co., Inc., etc. etc. etc.

Page 18: Caution: always point pistol in a safe direction when squeezing the trigger to lower the hammer...

Page 24: 3. ...(If slide was fully to rear, release cocked hammer by squeezing trigger after ensuring chamber is empty.)

Page 28: 5. Keep pistol pointing in a safe direction, allow slide to return forward on empty chamber and squeeze the trigger to allow hammer to fall forward...

I didn't feel like digging out my other 26 various year models' manuals, as I figured they would be about the same, and 4 of them were for revolvers...

Your gunsmith probably replaces a lot of parts that may or may not need replacing, depending on what bills are due. I'd consider checking out another, there "colt45".

Oh, and BTW, people will invent anything they think they can convince people that they need.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2002
  8. jerry

USA
    Guys,
    there is a difference in letting the hamer down ocasionally on an empty chamber as opposed to continuous dry fire practice. you both have good points, and are both correct. but I think there are different sheets of music involved. Most guys I know ride the hammer down as in a safety decock. as mentioned an ocasional dry fire won't hurt.
    Ever decocked a 1911 with one hand, not letting the hammer fall?

9. PlumberjimC

PlumberjimC G&G Newbie

1911 dryfire

Snap caps are great but so is a slice of thick belt leather in the hammer slot. I have a Marvel .22 conversion unit on a Kimber Custom frame and that's how I dryfire it -- with the leather.

10. jerry

USA
    great idea!

11. The only firearm that was ever meant to be dry fired was the M-1 Garand rifle. I have training videoes from WWII showing this. Th e.45 ACP pistol or any other was never mant to be dry fired. As posted before,this is why there are snap caps. If you keep on doing it you will learn the hard way.

12. Criminy......
    for years we dry fired 1911 when we used them in the military.

We used them in my department later and, at the range, we all had to dry fire before holstering and entering the training building.

Dang, we never had any problem with it.

We even dry fired the M-16s when we went to them in the early 80's.

Constant dry firing I can see to be a problem...but occassionally? No way!

13. If you constantly dry fire thats bad, an occasional dry fire will do no harm.

14. jerry

USA
    agreed, like during a function check, decock on empty chamber etc, so on, etc.

15. my S.A. 1911A1 manual specifically says to dry fire the weapon to get used to the trigger pull and practicing.

16. woody1981

woody1981 Love Your Firearms! Forum Contributor

The Smith Wesson 9VE requires a dry fire before it can be field stripped. I have read a lot about the value of dry firing to develop exact aiming techniques. If the manufacturer explicitly tells you not to dry fire, then by all means don't dry fire. Otherwise, it is OK. For a better discussion of dry fire, you might want to look at Suarez's comments on the issue.

17. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

+1 obviously if it was a serious threat to the firing pin then Springfield wouldn't recommend it!

18. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

If you are going to incorporate dry-firing into your daily training, I would recommend getting a snap cap. Occasional dry firing is fine, unless it's a 22 !!

19. jerry

USA
    2002, holy Moses.

20. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Dry fire all you want with no fear!! Snap Caps do nothing but line the pockets of the company that invented them