close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dry firing a 10/22

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by rich5674, Mar 28, 2002.

1. rich5674

rich5674 G&G Newbie

Can this be done with no harm to the gun?

2. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    wouldn't advise it. every gun has it's own dry fire issues. with the 10/22 or other rim fires, when the front end of the firing pin indents the cartrige case rim in normal operation the case rim absorbs the impact with the softer brass. without something to "hit on" there is steel to steel contact with enough force to hurt the end of your finger if you were able to put it there. this may not hurt with the ocasional dry fire Ie. function check. but would not be good over and over. I have seen no commercial "snap caps" for .22. I soppose you could use an empty. this could cause a dangerous situation as far as confusion on load status of the weapon and you would want the firing pin to hit in a different spot of the rim every time or so or it wouldn't do much good. If you are looking to get good trigger control .22 is inexpensive enough to shoot a bunch of. if it's a matter of not being able to get out, mabe a pellet gun could be found with a similar trigger. As long as your practicing breathing and muscle control it would be better than nothing.

3. rich5674

rich5674 G&G Newbie

Dry fire

Ah, a military man! Thanks Jerry, I do know in general dry firing a .22 is NG , I thought I heard different about the Ruger. My air rifle is louder than my .....22 with CB caps. I will get snap caps.

4. JohnD

JohnD Member

the thing is you have no way of telling when the gun is empty and you usualy end up dry firing it when empty. that is what I like on the mark 2 the bolt stays open after the last shot and you know its empty without having to check. I do not think you can get snap caps for 22lr.

5. squirrelsniper

squirrelsniper G&G Newbie

I'm not an avid autoloader user, but if I'm not mistaken there is a firing pin "stop pin" in the 10/22 bolt that will not allow the firing pin to move forward enough to impact the breech end of the barrel. If this is correct, then dry fining wouldn't cause any harm to the rifle, but you might want to ask someone who knows more about 10/22's than I do before you start trying it out. You might want to ask the same question over at Rimfire Central in one of their forums devoted to the 10/22, those guys know practically everything about a 10/22.

6. jerry

USA
    I'd be curious to be more edumacated on this. I re-read the manual and they said nothing about it.

7. jerry

USA
    Saf-T-Trainer Simple, inexpensive BRIGHT ORANGE dummy ammo for training and or DRY FIRE Practice. :D
    PACKAGES OF 5 ~ .22LR $3.95
    call Dillon @ 800-223-4570 ask for P/N A55-10086 :cool: :ballons:

8. jpaulghetto

jpaulghetto G&G Newbie

it will do no harm to dry-fire the 10-22. indicates such in its manual. also says not a good idea to store in cocked state.i do it to mine regularly, before loading and after range session. its designed not to impact the chamber face. so, "don;t worry about it".

9. jerry

USA
    I appologize, I may just be missing something, looked at the book again, did not see it. What page might it be on?

10. jpaulghetto

jpaulghetto G&G Newbie

i find two references in my manual.one concerning the target rifle trigger, ....you should practice dry-firing...to learn the feel of the trigger.... reference#2, the rifle can be dry-fired for practice as long as it is empty...... pages 8 and 12. hope this helps.

11. jerry

USA
    OLD BOOK?

I may be missing something yet. My book is about 12 yrs old. Pg 8 has 3 topics outlined in RED They are;
    HANDLING WARNING ;FIRING WARNING ;MALFUNCTION WARNING page 12 has steps 4~9 the remainder of the field stripping and dissassembly proceedures and 2 paragraphs on care and cleaning.
    I wonder if the book changed somewhere along the line?
    If I'm behind on a revision, I'll be sure to get an updated manual from Ruger.
    thanx,
    jerry:confused: