Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,732 Posts
It's the mask keeping them away Jerry. The ducks mistook you for a bank robber. ;)
Looks like some good outdoor time anyway....

·
Registered
15,245 Posts

·
Wonderment :)
32,571 Posts
Jerry: Sir; relaxing in nature; cleanest the soul :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Slow day, but good company, food, and relaxing scenery. The ducks are just not down yet. Quite a few locals, but very educated. View attachment 156990 View attachment 156992 View attachment 156994 View attachment 156996

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app
My Favorite Duck to hunt are the Wood Duck and Teal for me they taste the best of all other ducks. A good Wood Duck recipe I served with Wild & Long Grain Rice.

http://www.sweetloveandginger.com/seared-wood-duck-maple-sauce/

·
Registered
304 Posts
I
BRR, you bring up a good point. One of the reasons I stopped duck hunting was that the only places we had to hunt in were the salt marshes. The ducks and geese always tasted like low tide.
Maybe a good recipe would have fixed that, but we never found one.
I've never hunted Ducks in the tidal marsh, I hunt rivers , ponds ,streams , swamps seems to be a good population of Wood Ducks some Teal and Mallard's ,Wood Duck has always been my favorite because they taste good , Same with Teal they taste good also. I tried the Canadian Goose it was very greasy it was ok but I don't hunt them. I believe if you hunt , you should eat the game you killed . Of course not Varmints . If you hunt Ducks , Quail , Dove , Turkey , Geese you should eat what you hunt. Same with Squirrels , Rabbits , Deer , Hogs , Bear , Elk ect.

·
Registered
15,245 Posts
I

I've never hunted Ducks in the tidal marsh, I hunt rivers , ponds ,streams , swamps seems to be a good population of Wood Ducks some Teal and Mallard's ,Wood Duck has always been my favorite because they taste good , Same with Teal they taste good also. I tried the Canadian Goose it was very greasy it was ok but I don't hunt them. I believe if you hunt , you should eat the game you killed . Of course not Varmints . If you hunt Ducks , Quail , Dove , Turkey , Geese you should eat what you hunt. Same with Squirrels , Rabbits , Deer , Hogs , Bear , Elk ect.
I'd rather have Elk than beef!

·
Registered
990 Posts
When i was a kid, my grandparents had a goose in the yard. Why, I don't know. I remember being in the yard, when my grandmother came out with a basket of laundry to hang on the clothes lines. She bent over the basket to pick up a sheet to hang and that darn goose poked her in the butt. She fell over the basket and spilled the laundry over the grass and dirt. The next thing I saw was her grabbing the goose by the neck and swinging it around and cussing at it, which she never did. That was the best goose I've ever remember as a kid. And the goose grease spread was better than butter.

·
Premium Member
9,104 Posts
When i was a kid, my grandparents had a goose in the yard. Why, I don't know. I remember being in the yard, when my grandmother came out with a basket of laundry to hang on the clothes lines. She bent over the basket to pick up a sheet to hang and that darn goose poked her in the butt. She fell over the basket and spilled the laundry over the grass and dirt. The next thing I saw was her grabbing the goose by the neck and swinging it around and cussing at it, which she never did. That was the best goose I've ever remember as a kid. And the goose grease spread was better than butter.
Ron I knew where you were going. When you said "had a Goose".... Yeah I had some geese too LOL. Its one of my favorite birds for eating. I like them cooked in the roasting bag with potatoes, onion, celery, and carrots. Like a pot roast.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts