Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a woodland camo tactical vest and decided that I wanted a black one. Rather than purchase another vest I decided to dye it.
There's two ways to do this. I purchased an acid dye as it works great for nylon products and it doesn't bleed out. Vest came out the black that I was out to achieve.
If you cannot find acid dye in your local stores you can purchase Rit fabric dye and mix with vineher. This makes an acid dye. Vinegar is key ingredient in the acid dyes.
If not sure how a dye will make existing colors look you can get nylon swatches quite cheap at a fabric store or purchase a cheap nylon bag with same color/colors to test before altering any of your gear.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,018 Posts
Good tip. I have tried dyeing nylon before, with poor results. I will keep the vinegar tip in mind.

Reactions: Sheri

·
God, Guns, Glory
34,200 Posts
Welcome to G&G from Alaska.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Welcome to g&g. I will give this tip a try. Couldn't get kit to dye worth a hoot with Rit dye, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Thanks for the tip, and welcome from the Texas Panhandle, Ma'am.

Reactions: Sheri

·
Registered
19,593 Posts
I've had good luck with black leather die for this and other applications. You want to do the dye job in a pot and dump it out somewhere safe because it will stain anything else too.

I discovered the multiple uses of black leather dye by accident when I was trying to replicate antique furniture dyed with lamp black. It worked so well on wood that I started trying it on other mediums. So far It has worked as a fabric dye (both on purpose and otherwise), a concrete stain (same), and a good dye for man-made fibers and fabrics.

·
Premium Member
30,659 Posts
I've had good luck with black leather die for this and other applications. You want to do the dye job in a pot and dump it out somewhere safe because it will stain anything else too.

I discovered the multiple uses of black leather dye by accident when I was trying to replicate antique furniture dyed with lamp black. It worked so well on wood that I started trying it on other mediums. So far It has worked as a fabric dye (both on purpose and otherwise), a concrete stain (same), and a good dye for man-made fibers and fabrics.
It's great as tire black too

·
The outer edge of civilization
13,612 Posts
Welcome from North Carolina, Sheri! Nice to have another lady join the mayhem :)

Reactions: billy
1 - 15 of 15 Posts