EAA Windicator Issues - traded for new gun today

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by bassoneer, Jan 9, 2009.

1. bassoneer

bassoneer G&G Addict

I bought an EAA Windicator .357 revolver last Sunday. Today, I shot it for the first time. After a few .38 rounds, I started with a box of 50 .357's that I purchased at the range. I made it through about four rounds (of 6) when it completely jammed up and the cylinder would not come out of the frame. I had fired the rounds, but couldn't open it. So, a dead gun after less than one box of ammo. It is a .357 Magnum, so I don't think I should need to be afraid to shoot that shell through it. Anyway, it wasn't gonna do nuthin'.

I took it back to Gander Mountain where I bought it, and did you know, buying guns is sort of like buying cars. You don't return them...you trade them back in. The gunsmith at Gander used a brass hammer to get the gun apart, took it in the back and shot six rounds through it, and brought it out front saying "good as new", to which I said no. I no longer wanted it. I only paid $250 for this gun, so I didn't expect a lot, but I did think it would fire properly for some period. They said they would give me some money for it, and make me a deal on a new gun with a discount, so I said let's work something up. I spoke with the gun manager (a very nice guy) who said they just got an excellent condition S&W 686P in the back, and I ended up buying that gun from him. Overall, I think I lost around $75 on the EAA deal, but I made out like a bandit on the 686. So, I ended up spending more than I wanted, at a time I wasn't ready to, but got an extremely nice firearm that should last a long time. I don't think I was too badly taken advantage of, but did learn a lesson - stick with the brands that folks know. This EAA stuff didn't work out well for me. Later, B

2. billy

billy G&G Evangelist

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    i love a happy ending.
    h e double hockey sticks
    i want a 686!

3. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Was it positively determined to be the guns' fault?. .357 full-house loads have been known to pull the bullet out of the case under recoil, causing the exact condition described.

4. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

I've shot a couple hundred .357's through my EAA Windicator and over 500 rounds of .38 with no problem. 150 .357's and 150 .38's on one range trip and every round shot fine. For $200 brand new I got a nice gun that now lives in my desk draw at my office. It used to live on my night table until my 9MM XDM moved there. Nothing against the Windicator but I prefer to sleep with my Springfield. I still respect it in the morning.

5. rl356

rl356 G&G Addict

6. bassoneer

bassoneer G&G Addict

I understand, but no. All the rounds fired, so it wasn't an elongated bullet. The gun smith took the six empty shells out, but only after banging on it with a brass hammer. In fact, I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the ejector rod, but not 100% certain. It worked out...now I've got an even bigger gun! Later, B

7. bassoneer

bassoneer G&G Addict

There's probably nothing wrong with yours. Just keep that ejector rod well oiled...the tiny pin that rides inside the ejector rod...the one that clicks into the frame to hold the cylinder in there...that's what I think was sticking and hanging up. Just make sure that thing is well oiled up inside the ejector rod. But then again, the thumb slide (that opens the cylinder) was sticking too, so it might have been that. Just make sure all the little parts are well oiled and you should be fine with yours. Later, B

8. DWFan

DWFan G&G Evangelist

I have no experience with this weapon, but I have read, (on this site), that the ejector rod on the Windicator can unscrew itself and jam the cylinder in place or prevent closing the crane after reloading.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  9. bluealtered

bluealtered G&G Newbie

After a 16 week nightmare of trying to deal with witless, and having talked to the owner of the company, and mr. tanfoglio, (the maker in italy) i got the pistols back, with custom barrels and match grade slides.

The bottom line is that they still fail to feed half the time, and when they do feed, they still don't group any better than squat.

When you go bottom fishing, this is what you get. Oh, ... they are for sale. blue

10. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

That could be it. I've been known to over oil all my guns so it shouldn't stick. After hearing all the stories here though I might look into trading it up too. I kind of have mixed feelings. Having only paid $200 for it I might just let it live in my glove box. I'm assured to get 6 shots off if needed.

11. Sarbear

Sarbear G&G Newbie

I am new to guns, this was the first I ever bought or fired. I purchased it Jan 5th '09, and took my gun safety class 1/16. It worked well through about 50-60 rounds, but on a speed round the barrel locked up (while loaded), and I could not fire any rounds. The class was tought by some pretty knowledgeble guys, and they thought it had something to do with the release button. My husband monkeyed with the ejector rod when we got home and it unlocked. We brought it back to Gander today and the gunsmith told us to expect such things with a junk gun. I enjoyed my experience shooting with it, and am stuck with it after buying it, so I just hope it doesn't lock up in an emergency situation!

12. bassoneer

bassoneer G&G Addict

I wrote a couple of e-mails to Gander Mountain corporate folks about this gun. I just don't want any more folks getting into the big ordeal I had...of course I found out that I could not take it back, but Gander did buy it back for $100 less than I paid for it five days earlier ($250 down to $150). They turned right around while I was standing there and put a price on it of $239.99. My loss, but I learned these real-life lessons: 1. Guns can't be returned. 2. Buy guns that have a solid reputation and that you know about. Good luck, B

13. tenringdriller

tenringdriller G&G Newbie

wow, it's a **** good thing i searched this gun on the forums and did my homework. the gander mountain in my area is advertising these in the newspaper and it looked like a no-brainer: $250 for a .357....and what could possibly go wrong with a revolver? i was all set to buy one tomorrow, but now i'm not...why waste money on something that's not going to be reliable? further more, i was going to buy this for my every day carry. guess i'll just stick with my CZ .40 cal. 500+ rounds and not 1 jam....gotta love the eastern block, they work when you need them to.

14. rockman7

rockman7 G&G Evangelist

doesn't everyone have a $200 gun fiasco? or was ya'll all born with a silver spoon in yer mouth? finances coercied me into buyin a grendel.....thing still sits in my cabnet somewhere cause after a few firings the extractor claw broke.and even tho they did honor thier warranty their also out of business now.it taught me several things. 1... you buy cheap ...expect cheap ,2....refer to #1, and 3.... this applies to anything your life could depend on...scopes, guns, knives, tools, ect.i'm still not rich but now i'd rather wait to buy quality products that will perform and last.

15. TheWall

TheWall Firearm Affectionado Forum Contributor

I can tell you the 686 is a sweet gun. I don't know about EAA windicator guns, but I think you made a good deal.

16. squirrelblaster

squirrelblaster G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

i think you came out on top!, the 686 is a fantastic gun! congrats!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted