Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired an early model (low serial no.) and was wondering if it had any value, it has been sporterized and the bottom metal is missing and the barrel has been ported, but it looks good, like it has been reblued and kept in very good condition
Any help and info will be appreciated
P1010887.JPG
P1010887.JPG
P1010889.JPG

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
$500 sounds super optimistic. Based on what I've seen recently in my area, $350 is realistic and at $450 it would take some time to sell.

Edit to add: Preface by saying that it's a neat old piece. It has near zero value to a collector though, so it's target market are hunters or target shooters who think it's cool because it was made from an old battle rifle. In that market you have to compete against modern firearms that are likely to be more accurate and are almost certainly lighter and easier to carry in the field.

Double Edit:
Being an actual low-number 1903, I am not sure what that does to the price, if anything. That's a bit of a wildcard I didn't have time to consider when I first posted and edited. It's obviously been shot, but most shooters are going to be shy of it just because of the warnings out there. I guess it's worth whatever someone is willing to give you?

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Looks like the stock came from a Remington 700 BDL with that forend tip. One would think it would be worth more as the build puts some offerings these days to shame. If it shoots darn good I would hold onto it. Nice looking rifle for sure.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
I completely agree with Dutch, he covered just about everything that I would have looked at. If it's a nice consistent shooter a nice sporterized milsurp like that goes somewhere in the ballpark of $250 - $325 in my neck of the woodswoods, give or take a few $'s to haggle over :) ...

Reactions: ikesdad and Dutch

·
Premium Member
9,757 Posts
First of all hunting rifles in common calibers don't bring much in this area. Main reason is that there are so many new rifles at the sporting goods stores like Mossberg, marlin, Remington's and others for only a few hundred bucks. People here are not going to pay over $175 even if it is a O3 or O3A3 rifle. Once it was changed from military configuration then it has like little value. Same as any other military rifle. I bought one that was built to a sport hunting rifle years ago and wont sell it even though I don't shoot it anymore. Just no value. I had two Remington O3 receivers I bought years ago for $100 each. I built rifles on both of them. I bought the barrels, stocks, sights and drill and tapped receivers for scope and finish on rifle. I have a lot of money tied up in them. It was basically personal satisfaction I got out of it all. I wont even get $200 for each of them and nice looking. Im thinking that they will be given to two of my grand sons one day

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Yeah like rando said. Beautiful job on many of these sportered guns but most often not worth much. I think many today are satisfied with more utilitarian grades than glossy looks. Most shoot OK like the Savage 111 I tried with a matte finish and synthetic stock but sure did not have the looks of my vintage 700.

·
Registered
11,312 Posts
does it say model 30 on it anywhere?
or Remington model 30?

and ported?
yeah...
good way to lose a bunch of friends.

even with the Remington mark on it, it's maybe gonna fetch 300$ on a good day around here.
the last one of those I bought was
dis-assembled in a box and I gave 65$ for it.
I had to hand file a set of mauser rings to fit the receiver, keeping a careful eye on their height alignment.

·
Registered
31 Posts
They turned the bolt handle pretty hard and it has a Bueler or MKII safety. The only maker that serial number could be is Springfield, not a Remington or Rock Island, despite all efforts and regardless of money put into it low number rifles only bring $$ when they're original or period correct original rifles. The one the OP posted would be a very tough sell even at $300, the minute they're altered the value absolutely tanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to your forum, I hunt with a Poshell Sporter, originally picked up on Okinawa covered in mud, that was in1945, didn’t get sportitized until 1954, I think. My Dad hunted on Fort Lewis military reservation. I shot my first deer, 1 million range, Williams opera range sights. Poshell installed a Navy Stainless bolt, really smooth action, I kinda agree with the other Posts. I really don’t think My Springfield 30/06 would bring more that $300.00. I would never sell it at 74. Hate to think who would end up with it. Sun

1 - 13 of 13 Posts