Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering one of the lower priced rifle/scope package deals from Academy but can't decide between the Rem. 710/Simmons 3x9x40 or the Savage 110/Bushnell 3x9x40. I'm leaning towards the Savage as my stepson has one but have heard good things about the Remmy as well. What do you guys think, any first hand pros and/or cons?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I have heard nothing but good things about the Savage 110 package.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The Savage is a much better deal. Both the rifle and the scope would be an upgrade from the Rem 710, Simmonds combo. I've yet to hear anyone get good accuracy from a 710, and I have found Simmonds scopes to be crap. I'll admit that the six Simmonds scopes I had were 10 years ago and I hope they improved since then, but I'll never know because they'll never get me to buy one again for any reason.

Dave375

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
go with the savage/bushnell. i like remmington, but that 710 is a joke and adding a cheap simmons to it doesn't help.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
shaun, i have never seen a remington 700 that could out shoot a savage out of the box yet. savage is rated at the most accurate out of the box rifle under $550 for the last 4 years.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,193 Posts
Get a Mosin/Nagant M38 in excellent condition for $59.00...get an aftermarket stock for it (wood or synthetic) scope mount, scope. Viola! You got something you won't run into in most deer camp! Coolness factor is off the scale! ;)

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
ggod point, or a 48A and restock it with a scout scope and have it reamed to 8mm-06
now your talking deer gun.
but for a kid a savage siera rifle in 308 is light short and a good shooter, the package guns from savage are really sweet though i have several.

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
I have compared my 700 VSSF to many savages and so far I have yet to see tighter groups than the remington. Last time I was on a facility with the rifle using Match ammo. I was holding subminute at 800 yards and I have never had a problem with a 1000 yard facility with the .308 either.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know my stepsons .270 Savage is one heck of a shooter and I really don't know anything about the 710 other than magazine articles. I'm building a "scout" rifle based on a 91/30 right now-home sporterized stock, barrel cut back to 19", handgun scope, etc. but it's an ongoing project and I don't want to rush it. If I had more time, I'd just finish it and if I had more money, I'd buy that new Tikka T-3 and Burris scope that I really want.:D

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Previous Rem 710s came with Bushnell scopes. Perhaps that would be a better deal than with a Simmons? I dunno. The advantage the Rem 710 offers over the Savage is an extremely durable, scratch resistant, crud resistant, everything resistant finish and stock. I'm serious. You'd have to own one to believe it. Though I sold my 710 in 30-06, I'm considering getting one in 300 Win Mag.

The 710 cannot be loaded from the top. Only by inserting a loaded magazine, or feeding a single round without the mag. If you want to be able to top it off or otherwise load from the top, the Savage is better.

Or buy a milsurp Mosin or Mauser. The Mosin is handier and more affordable modern ammo is available for it. Or a Schmidt Rubin if you reload. Or a Yugo SKS if range is short and semi-auto is allowed.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
What Joe and Colt45 said...either one.

If you want to go up one notch............Swede M96!

Reactions: colt45

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
not gona argue that at all, shaun. i'm sure it is a supper shooter. i'm talking about out of the box package guns though.
btw that thing sounds sweet have any pics?

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
My only experience deer hunting is with just two rifles. Springfield 1903A3, in 30-06 with open sights...and with an out of box Rem 700, also in 30-06 with a Leupold 3x9x40 scope.

The 03A3 was an accurate shooter...but a little heavy lugging through the timber.

The Rem 700 set up described above weighed about a couple of pounds lighter and I had the flexibility of a much longer target range, if needed.

If you're looking economy first deer rifle...go for a milsurp, if he's heafty enough to lug it around. :nod:

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Ox, FWIW I'm 6'5" 220 lbs! :D I've also got several mil-surps that I hunt with but am looking for a little more "purpose built" gun as I hate altering them. I almost cried when I cut the barrel on my 91/30.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts