close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

El Cheapo FAL Buildup

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by FALPhil, May 1, 2002.

1. I have been asked several times how to build a cheap FAL like my "mutt". Well, boys, there is a way to build a FAL for about what I have in mine and you don't have to scrounge near as hard as I did. Here's the scoop:

TAPCO G1 Kit. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $99.99
    Used metric magazine (TAPCO) . . . . . . . . . . . . .$6.00
    FAC/Hesse Type III Receiver . . . . . . . . . . . . .$159.00
    RPB/FSE Magazine Floor Plate and Follower. . . $6.50
    TAPCO/CAI Low Comb US Stock and Pad. . . . . $9.99
    TAPCO Stainless US gas Piston. . . . . . . . . . . . $19.99
    Dan's/IAI US Pistol Grip . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $10.00

TOTAL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $311.47

You'll have to figure in shipping and tax, where applicable, but this will give you a street legal FAL for under $350 easily. You could budget $400, have it refinished and still have enough left over for a steak dinner at the local Sizzler.

If anybody decides to go this route, you must understand that the 2 magazine parts must go in any other magazine that you might use, in order to stay legal. If you want to use any old magazine, you must add a couple more parts which would increase the cost correspondingly.

If anybody finds cheaper parts, please post them. Thanks.

2. Just got word that Century has their Inch receivers for $129 delivered, this month. They will work with the G1 kit, so that brings the total down to $281.47.

3. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I have a very bad impression of Hesse stuff. Would the Century receiver be much better?

4. Paul I

Paul I G&G Newbie

FALPHIL, How do you find out about the 7 parts that need to be U.S made ? I'm looking to get a kit to try and putting it togather is it hard? I waiting a ARS right now so I can take me time.

Thanks
    Paul I

5. Do a google search on "Title 18 Section 922( r )". Or use my list:

The way this works is that you can have no more than 10 imported parts from the list. Since three do not apply to FALs, then you must replace 7, if you have a threaded muzzle.

Hey, I know it's stupid. I don't make the laws, but I do obey them.

Last edited: May 2, 2002
  6. Paul I

Paul I G&G Newbie

I thought that you could only have 10 of these parts listed,but in any case were would you be asked about it.,and do you have to carry documation that you have the right parts.

Thanks Paul I

7. The way that Title 18 Section 922 r reads is that you can have no more than 10 of the parts on the list. If you discount the three parts that do not apply to FALs, then that leaves you with 7 to replace. If the barrel is not threaded, that leaves you with 6.

Stupid, but true. But then, I have never seen a gun control law that was anything besides stupid.

8. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Who makes the receiver for Century ?

Wyr
    God Bless

9. Wyr,

I think Century does. They are cast and the reports I have heard are that they are measurably better than some to the Hesses that had problems.

I built my cheap FAL on a Hesse and have not had problems.

10. Paul I

Paul I G&G Newbie

I must say this is a strange law. I dont see the logic in the whole thing. On the positive note my wife said that she thinks me building a FAL is a good hobby. If 1 good then 2 must be great.
    Paul I

11. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

All of our gun laws are strange . :-(

Wyr
    God Bless

12. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Not sure Century has the capability to make receivers ( they did not make the Garand receivers , themselves ) . My guess is they sub-contract the receivers & at most , do the finish maching ( that in itself is scary ) .

Any one with any more info ?

Wyr
    God Bless