Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone was getting rid of their mature banana trees on Craigslist, so I swooped them up. I had to dig, I pulled out about 3 large ones (8-10 feet) trying to take as much soil with them as possible. It's early winter and I'm in Portland OR (zone 8). I know this far from an ideal time to transplant, but leaving them in the ground until spring wasn't an option. My only question is, what's the best option from here? Should I get them in the ground immediately and mulch/insulate them or should I pot them for now and overwinter them in the garage until spring? Winter has been mild so far, but wet, and sometimes we get snow in February. Thanks in advance for any tips!

·
God, Guns, Glory
33,971 Posts
Welcome to G&G from Alaska.
Stop by the Introduction thread and say hello.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I have no advice, but that's pretty neat. I think I saw a banana tree in a botanical garden once, and I didn't know they could survive in North America.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
9,036 Posts
Portland Or and you can grow bananas?? do you ever get fruit? I have a couple of banana patches in my yard but I live in S. Fla.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
I had a 10' Banana tree in my back yard when I was stationed in the Philippines. My pet monkey George, ate all of the banana's and then he ate the whole tree down to the ground.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts