Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it is better late than never as they say, I finally found the pics of my ce 41 (Sauer & Son) and I finished up some pics of my dou 42 that I got from Dennis at Empire Arms. Unfortunately I did not take before pictures of the Sauer & son, when I first got it the shellac was very flaky and it did not take much to have it come off in your hands. I could have probably just used #000 steel wool but I used some Fomsby Furniture re-finisher and # 0000 & #000 steel wool to remove the shellac. Once done I applied about 4 coats of Tung oil, using the steel wool in between each coat to knock off some of the shine, once finished I buffed her up. Here is a pic of her when finished.

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a very strong proof mark that was on the stock under the shellac, it was faint and hard to see initially but the clean up really brought it out.

Attachments

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,322 Posts
Nice! Lets get that weed whacker out and trim around them stairs...mmmkay? ;)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the dou 42 I took some before pics before touching up the stock, the shellac job was much better on this rifle in that it did not flake at all. It was actually applied very nicely but was obviously too dark in color.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
NICE PICS OF A NICE RIFLE!!!

good going.

and don't worry about the weeds, NRAJOE is just jealous.:rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now on this one I removed the butt plate (one of the few areas the Russians did not shellac) and was pleasantly surprised to find that the original stock was blonde.

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I basically used the same procedure as with the ce 41, I had to rinse several times to get the shellac color completely off. I used about 5 coats of Tung oil on this particular rifle but finally got her to the way she was supposed to look. Here is the same stock section when finished.

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Last One

Last one. I have one other from Dennis and another non Russian capture, the other Russian capture I am keeping as is, the shellac job is excellent and the guy who did this one certainly took his time. I have the years 1940 through 43 and had to stop checking the Empire Arms site since I would surely get myself in trouble if I kept on going.

Attachments

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,322 Posts
I still gotta redo the stock on my M38 Mosin...think I'll follow your directions...wood came out nice! :right:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts