Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my shootgun news and there was an ad for the Enfield 2A in .308 Nato. The ad says to use .308 NATO ammo ONLY. Isn't the .308 Nato the same as the regular .308 that we use for hunting and in the M14??? What's the difference if any,

Tony

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I have one 2A1 .308 and have owned another in the past. I have used .308 NATO ammo, and I have fired hand loaded rounds through them with no problem. I do not load "hot loads", and stay within the limits of the loading manuals.

I have never fired Commercial .308 ammo through either of them. Never needed to since I load my own.

Nick

·
Premium Member
30,672 Posts
there is a difference between 308 win. and 308 nato and its a little fuzzy to me because i have read many different things so to play it safe i only shoot mil.surp 308nato and its a ton cheaper anyway but treat it like its all corrosive. have fun with your new rifle!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi,

I'm owning a 2a aswell and mine says: .308 on the breech! I only shoot the .308 win ammo because I can not get any surplus Nato ammo here in Europe:mad:
As far as the firing: no problem as yet and the previous owner had no problem what so ever!!!

M1D

·
Registered
11 Posts
7.62 nato and 308 win have slightly different case dimensions. 308 win has higher pressures as well.
The chamber is cut to be sloppy on the 7.62 nato. It is a military chambers meant to work in the worst of conditions.
I have a 2a sporterized by gibbs. If i shoot 308 win factory ammo or hot handloads in it the brass swells tremendously and causes very difficult extraction. 7.62 nato gives no problems.
Brass fired through this gun is an absolute whore to run through a full lenght resizer also. I once measured the expansion of the brass but I cant remember what it was.
so since the chambers vary greatly on these guns it is possible to get one that will fire 308 win without any problems. Or you can get one lik emine that just plain wont work with 308 win.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,362 Posts
A shooting buddy has both the .303British and the Indian 7.62X51 versions. He shoots the Indian more often, due to easier ammo availability.
Both my Smellys, including one Indian ex-grenade launcher version are both in .303Brit.

Reactions: jwrauch and PAPA G

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
I have a 2 A Indian enfield too. I loaded some mild 150 gr. loads for it but it shot so high i could not hit shit. I ordered some higher sight blades but they wouldn't fit. I guess there is some differences between them and the .303 rifles. bad, it would have made a great deer rifle and it looked good in the ATI stock. now its back in the original stock and is a safe queen.:(

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Only time I shot this one, made a blank round, put tennis ball in cup. Ball went up about 100' and came back down with hole through ball.

·
Registered
262 Posts
There is less than 2000 psi difference between American .308 and military 7.62 ammunition. The military ammunition is loaded to 50,000 cup or 60,000 psi. And commercial .308 is loaded to 52,000 cup or 62,000 psi and this difference is nothing to worry about.

If you want to reload for your 2A1 then use Lake City 7.62 brass, it is thicker in the base and designed for larger diameter chambers. Meaning Lake City brass is built Ford Truck Tough. :)

All you need to do is reduce the load data for the M14/M1A by two grains to make up for military cases having less case capacity.

·
36,362 Posts
Maybe have the mods correct the title. ".308 NATO" is a misnomer. Otherwise, good points.

Reactions: swedesrus and K75RT

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
7.62 nato and 308 win have slightly different case dimensions. 308 win has higher pressures as well.
The chamber is cut to be sloppy on the 7.62 nato. It is a military chambers meant to work in the worst of conditions.
I have a 2a sporterized by gibbs. If i shoot 308 win factory ammo or hot handloads in it the brass swells tremendously and causes very difficult extraction. 7.62 nato gives no problems.
Brass fired through this gun is an absolute whore to run through a full lenght resizer also. I once measured the expansion of the brass but I cant remember what it was.
so since the chambers vary greatly on these guns it is possible to get one that will fire 308 win without any problems. Or you can get one lik emine that just plain wont work with 308 win.
I had a 2a back when they were common here. I never could resize the brass, so I sold it to a buddy who had no interest in handloading .

Reactions: ChaZam

·
Premium Member
4,679 Posts
Maybe have the mods correct the title. ".308 NATO" is a misnomer. Otherwise, good points.
As stated by others this is a misnomer..
7.62 NATO and .308 WIN are close but not equal..google it.. Pressure differences are inportant

Reactions: Big Dog

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
There is NO such thing as .308 NATO, it's either .308 Winchester or 7.62x51 NATO, which are basically the SAME cartridge !.............

·
36,362 Posts
As stated by others this is a misnomer..
7.62 NATO and .308 WIN are close but not equal..google it.. Pressure differences are inportant
Totally agree, as I have said in prior threads.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts