Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, suppose that I buy an Enfield at the upcoming gun show. I see lots of surplus ammo that is corrosive. This must have been used in the past by the military. If I get a box of that to set aside for The Evil Day...how do you clean the rifle after you shoot it?

·
Premium Member
30,707 Posts
the british poured boiling water down the barrel.
they had funnels just for that purpose.
and then they cleaned them as you would any rifle.
thats how i do it too.
just go slow and dont get water under the stock.
i use a long skinny flexable funnel i got from an autoparts place.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
You can also boil a pan of water, set it on the floor, and use a tight-fitting patch to pull it up into the barrel. This way you can scrub the bore at the same time you kill the salts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I use lots of corrosive ammo and its easy to clean when you get home from the range just boil a kettle full of water and slowly pour it down the bore from the breech end I stand the rifle in the sink with the muzzle on a dishcloth then when the barrel is full lift a bit to let it drain and repeat.

after the first kettle then give the barrel a clean just as you would normally.

if you have shot allot or the barrel is a bit dirty then repeat the process.

Because its boiling water the barrel dries imediately so not to messy just avoid the stock as said earlier.

Mil surp ammo is OK and compulsory in our service rifle shooting competitions.:)

·
Premium Member
30,707 Posts
that reminds me ..i need to buy another 880 rnd. case.

many times i bring a big thermos of very hot water with me to the range and do it there.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use some black powder bore cleaner as soon as I am finished at the range, run a few dry patches, an oil soaked patch , repeat at home and then clean as normal. repeat a couple of days later. When I was shooting M1's with loads of corrosive primed ammo we used WWII GI bore cleaner to do the job but needed to remove the oprod occasionally to clean out the gas system.

·
Banned
1,026 Posts
I have never and will never use millitary corrosive ammo through my rifles.I can load more accurate and more consitant ammo myself.I understand some people have no choice.Or prefer to use the old stuff.My rifles are used for target and hunting.I love reloading my own and getting the best from my rifles.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Even with regular ammo boiling them out is a great way to get them clean. Clean one the best you can once then use boiling water after and see how much carbon you have been missing.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,319 Posts
Cheese and rice!

All ya gotta do is use Windex With Ammonia D liberally on patches...then clean as usual...been shooting corrosive ammo for years in Mosins and Enfields....my bores are squeaky clean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts