Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went into my local gun shop today to see what they had and I saw a 1950 no.1 mkIII. Made in India. It still looked like it was covered in black grease which seems common for those type from India. All matching parts. The bore looked to be at least 90%. No real scratches on the wood or metal. They are asking $225 plus tax. If I get it, it will be added to my collection, shot on occasions. They are selling it up here in Ohio. What do you guys think. Did India make good rifles?:feedback:

·
Registered
433 Posts
The Enfields manufactured in India were considered fairly good and that should be a .308 caliber which is something a lot of us .303 Enfield owners would like to have. If you can remove the bolt, check out the barrel for any erosion, and be sure the action is operating smoothly. The .308's are not as plentiful as the .303 so the asking price for this seems to be in line. I would like to know if you do purchase it as for myself and I'm sure others will gladly give our two cents worth on restoring and cleaning this rifle. Cleaning up a mil-surp is a dirty job but someone's got to it!

Woody Mortensen

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maybe A2 Ishapore

Hay Doc, Are you sure this is what you think it is? It sounds like it might be oneof the Ishapore A2's that were made around that time in 7.62 NATO. I just bought a couple of them and they shoot great and are as smooth as butter when opened and closed.

Check out the magazine and see if its slanted or squared off on the bottom. That's a dead give away! Either way thought, buy it!! After all, YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH GUNS!!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have 2 Ishapore rifles , a '45 No1Mklll* and a '68 2A1 , both are great rifles .
That black guck was on both of them and they cleaned up really well.
Depending on where you live determines the prices , I paid $200 Canadian ( plus the usual tax gouge ) for the No1 and $250 for the 2A1

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright! I have decide that I am going to get it either tommorrow or Saturday. It was made in 1950 so it is .303 not .308. They switched over to the .308 around 1963 after they got beat by the Chinese. And what kind of person would I be if I did not but pics up! Pics will go up ASAP! I swear! Promise!:amish:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts