Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is the .308 caliber of the enfield the same as the modern .308 rifles or is it some weird british round? Basically, would you be able to use commercial 308 of the shelves or have to order a foreign surplus?

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
If by Enfield you mean the Pattern 17, it was built in .30-06, if it is a Pattern 14, they were produced in .303.
If it is a Lee Enfield, then it will have been built as .303 unless it is a L39 or L42 which is in 7.62mm.
Many .303 rifles were converted to 7.62mm; is someone confused between 7.62 & .308?

If it is in .308, then it is a civialian conversion.

The British do not use any "Weird" .308 rounds.

More details on the rifle & markings required. If in any doubt see a reputable gunsmith.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Many No4 rifles where converted to 7.62nato . The No1 recievers are not strong enough to handle the higher pressure .
A number of 7.62n rifles ( based on the No4) where also factory made and issued.
India made the RFI 2A series ( based on the No1 ) but with a much better grade of steel.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So if I want an Enfield in 7.62nato I need a No4 style enfield?
What does .303 ammo usually cost?
Which style enfield would you recommend? Keep in mind it is just for fun (not a serious collector).

·
Registered
557 Posts
The No4 based 7.62n rifles , is gonna cost big bucks.
For a fella , that just wants a decent 7.62n Enfield rifle to shoot and admire , would do well with the RFI 2A or 2A1.
Or...stick with the good ol' .303brit. , be it a No4 or No1 .The cheap milsurp ammo isn't as easy to find nowadays but there's a number of ammo makers that make FMJ fodder which is abit cheaper than hunting ammo.
Still a good bang for the buck.

Here's a '68 RFI 2A1 , Newly made for the 7.62nato round , 12 rd magazine.

Compared to a '45 GRI ShtLE Mklll*

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Personaly I would go for a No4 with the ladder rear sight if you can find one. The smle type sights do not lend themselves to easy accurate shooting. If you find a good one it shouldn't cost the earth to rebarrel in 7.62 if you can't find cheap 303 ammo.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
There are plenty of the .308 Ishapore Mk1 Lee Enfields out there. I did not realize that they were 7.62 I shoot .308 through mine all the time. When I bought mine about 3 years ago I paid $160. USD for it.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Thanks Irish. I am a lot better educated thanks to that info.
Here is what wikipedia says about it.

7.62x51mm NATO, and its civilian variant .308 Winchester, Incorrectly described as .308 NATO. DO NOT use .308 Winchester ammunition in rifles designed for 7.62 x 54mm NATO as the pressure standards are different.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I run standard .308 Milsurp thru my 2A, it likes it...and accurate. and Wunhunglo, the British DO use "Wierd" calibers...

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I run standard .308 Milsurp thru my 2A, it likes it...and accurate. and Wunhunglo, the British DO use "Wierd" calibers...
OK give me an example of a Weird British calibre?

ps. As far as I am aware .308 milsurp does not exist, I have never come across it & neither have any of my shooting buddies.

Must be some weird American calibre??

·
Registered
164 Posts
OK, here we go-.276 Penderson, .38/200.

P.S. AS far as I am aware .308 milsurp (Military Surplus) 7.62 X 51 exists, I shoot it all the time in my FN, MAS, 2A-Enfield.

I guess it is an American Caliber, been called weird before, no harm/no foul.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
The whole argument here seems to be that .308 and 7.62x51 are not the same and some feel it is not safe to shoot .308 in a rifle that states it is for 7.62x51.

Im like you Rem303 I shoot .308 in my MAS the Ishapore the Jungle carbine the M1A.

However I dont shoot it in the M95 Mauser Chileno or the 7.62 Carcano I have. I would not trust those rifles with .308.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Capt',
I would trust the Mauser to take it, but not the Carcano. But with both as old as they are, I believe low-power handloads are the prudent choice.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
OK, here we go-.276 Penderson, .38/200.
I'm back from my sojurn in sunny souf Africa.

I say again the British do not use any weird calbres (if there is such a thing)
The .276 developed for the Pattern 13 was an experimental round only and not adopted. (ie Not used), the .276 Pedersen was a US development much later.
The .38/200 was not "Weird" at it's time, it is now virtually obsolete and no longer in use. I would say it is not any Weirder that some of the other obsolete .38 calibres which were developed. (.38 Colt New Police .38 LC .38 Long Colt .38 Magnum .38 Pistol .38 Police Special .38 S&W .38 S&W Special .38 Short Colt)

And, I'll say again, .308 milsurp does not exist; what I believe you refer to as .308 milsurp is 7.62mm x 51mm (7.62nato.)

·
Registered
301 Posts
The P14 and M17 rifles have a "Mauser type" action-very different and more robust than the Lee Enfield's. (Much more slower and clumsier than the Enfield, too, IMO!)
I shoot .308 commercial ammo through my 1912 Chilean Mauser (rebored to 7.62 NATO) with no difficulties....Lastly, I have seen 7.62x51 ammo at local gunshows. At $8 a box, it's still out there.....

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
OK give me an example of a Weird British calibre?

ps. As far as I am aware .308 milsurp does not exist, I have never come across it & neither have any of my shooting buddies.

Must be some weird American calibre??
ok,
for starters they spell it calibre.
caliber!:09:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts