Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to my local range here in NJ to find that they were having a charity fund raiser shoot. So even though I was just there to try out some hand-loads and my newly aquired Enfield .308 (first one ive got) I decided to pay my $25 and give it a shot. I thought this would be a fun day when this burly fellow came over and saw my enfield, and said "might as well put that away" waste of time. I didnt say anything back and we commenced shooting. first 100yd bench then 200yd bench and finally 500 yd prone. The best he shot was a 1.25 inch group at 100 yds and i got a .5 inch group at 100 with the same loads that I shoot in my weatherby. Now I do have to ask is this normal for enfields. This is my first experience with this gun. And if there accuracy is like this then Im hooked.

and yes that is the rifle in the avatar.

·
Banned
1,026 Posts
You are on a winner mate.A LOT of people rubbish them for not being as strong in the action as a lot of other actions.But anyone who says they wont shoot is a fool and has never had the pleasure you have just had in wiping someones nose in their own ignorance.I would like some better pics,bit of a tease only showing me a avatar pic man.If you are hooked all i can say is welcome to the brotherhood.

·
Banned
98 Posts
"...is this normal for Enfields..." Judas Priest no. You lucked out by having the same load work well in two rifle though. That's not normal either. I sure as Hades wouldn't change the load. What did the twit have to say after being dragged around the floor like that by a new guy with a heavily bubba'd rifle?
Oh and it's an Indian made(Ishapore. aka Ishy) No. 2A Mk III that has obviously had an aftermarket synthetic stock put on by somebody who knew what he was doing. They were made, from scratch not rebuilt, in the mid 60's as a stop gap while India waited for their FN's. Issued to Police units afterwards. They're good rifles, but they don't normally shoot 1/2 MOA, even with carefully tailored ammo.
Feel free to strut a bit. Strut a lot the next time you run into the twit.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The guy that was talking all the crap was shooting a rem 700 sps in .308. I took the rifle and the same loads that I was shooting to my gun-smith and he threw about 5 rounds through it off of a bench vise and shot about the same. He told me that I was damn lucky and asked if I wanted to sell it. I told him he had a better chance of getting pregnant. The only thing is that the barrel was shortened to 22" by the previous owner and he did a pretty crappy job, so its time to break out the file and purrdy it up a bit. Other than that this is a keeper. I would hunt with it but it weighs in at 13 lbs with the shot in the stock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts