Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all things being equal condition-wise, is a No. 3 as good as a No. 4?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I would say better. But then again my opinion is biased, us Aussies have a strong connection to the NO1 MK3.

I have owned both, both of which were great, i prefer the NO1 MK3 to the No4 MK1. And in their standard form (which they should be, LOL) i prefer the look of the MK3 being straight at the muzzle end rather than the No4's tapered look.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am totaly new to the Lee Enfields, I have read a bunch, but held few. This No & Mark is quite confusing to me! The rifle I am currently looking at is an Enfield. Other than that I am oblivous! It has an exceptional bore and is marked on the Sellers tag as a Enfield No.3, MK I, and a ? mark as to caliber. Is this an US 7,62x51 Enfield. I am going in the next day or so to copy all numbers and markings. Shop owner knows nothing about Enfields either, so he is no help! Critical stampings is what I need to know to ID this rifle!

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,339 Posts
There are two basic Enfield rifles we get here - the No.1 Mk.III and the No.4 Mk.1 or No.4 Mk.2.
The P14 is quite a different rifle altogether, as is it's American counterpart, the M1917 Enfield.
I prefer the No.4's aperture sights - I find them more precise and easier to adjust.
Both can be quite accurate shooters.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help guys!

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is a No 1, MK III. I got it for $220. I do not know if that is good or bad.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Swede,
Is it a #1 MKIII or a #1 MKIII 2A? the first one is 303Brit, the second one is .308, there is a big difference. To tell the difference the easy way, is to look at RT side of the reciever, below the bolt handle. if it has Maltby, Fazerlakey, BSA or Lithgrow it is a .303 Brit Caliber Rifle. If it has "RFI" and a date, it is a .308 and was made at the Ishapore Armory in India. Or take it to a Gunsmith for a positive ID.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have just brought the rifle home, and laid it in the rest! A more specific investigation will follow. Other than my my Swede M96, (and I am prejudice), this is probably the most BEAUTIFUL rifle I have ever held in my hands! The lines are perfect, the contours are the same! No wonder you guys have been marking these up for so long!! Truly a #1 act! Oh my GOD!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Swedesteve,
I like the sights on the #1 MKIII, more than the ones on the #4, they seem to line up better for me. (I pefer Blade/Notch over "Ghost Ring"-"Ghost" being the key word...)

OH by the way, Welcome to the ranks of the "Enfield Junkies" you WILL be buying more of them....soon.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am having a bit of trouble disassembling this rifle. It is not a recent import and bears no import mark! It has no cosmoline, but has what can be best described as caked grease in all of it's orifices! It is the consistency of clay!! Did the Brits "depot" there's in a different way, or was this one "packed away" by a civilian?

·
Banned
1,026 Posts
Swede,
Is it a #1 MKIII or a #1 MKIII 2A? the first one is 303Brit, the second one is .308, there is a big difference. To tell the difference the easy way, is to look at RT side of the reciever, below the bolt handle. if it has Maltby, Fazerlakey, BSA or Lithgrow it is a .303 Brit Caliber Rifle. If it has "RFI" and a date, it is a .308 and was made at the Ishapore Armory in India. Or take it to a Gunsmith for a positive ID.

The indian ishapore factory also made 303 chambered no 1 mk 3s.I own one.The easiest way ive found to tell a 7.62 chambered ishy is the square box magazine if looking from a distance.Then the markings will tell you anyway.I would also say that the 7.62 chambered rifles would be no4s and also no1mk3s

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Right side has:
A crown?
CR (might be GR)
ENFIELD
S?LE ? Looks like smaller HT or NT
III =

Top of receiver has:
Crown
BNP

Serial# is 1999*

Caliber is .303

·
Registered
164 Posts
Steve,
It is "GR"
Made in 1917 (Just in time for WWI)
SMLE=Short Magazine Lee Enfield
The "Crown"="His/Her Royal Majesty OK's this rifle for use defending the Crown"
"BNP" is most likley a "proofmark" or an "Inspectors Stamp"

And Yes that is Very Old Cosmo...I scrub mine down with a old "Soft" toothbrush and good old Hoppies #9, using a small common acrewdriver and a scribe to get into the hard to reach places...Good Luck and be careful.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts