Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am wondering if anybody has tried to make the rear sight hole smaller on the distance adjustable flip up sight? some sort of insert maybe? something from a hardware store? im thinking like some sort of small brass something. i would like to make it almost like a target sight.
thanks!

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,972 Posts
A guy at my local range modded his No.4, drilling his screw-adjustable peep sight and installing an aperture. He said it really improved it. I haven't done it - I like the military peep sight.

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
its a thought ... thanks!

i dont like the peep sights because i can see 1/2 the hillside it [email protected] 100 yds.

·
36,972 Posts
Yep, I don't use the huge 'battle sight' - the micrometer peep is much more precise.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I've seen guys use tape and then they use a pin to poke a hole in the tape. That way you don't mod your sight.
Hm, if you use black electrical tape, that would probably work best, but it's shiny, so might have a problem with glare.

Maybe masking tape made black with a Sharpie?

By the way, great idea Enfield!

·
36,972 Posts
One thing I have done (on my CETME) was to fill the large hole with JB Weld, then redrill it with a tinier hole - then carefully painted flat black. Works great!

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the micrometer peep is what i have on both of mine. and it is still too large for my taste.
i am going to tape one and see how it works.now i need to see how to put the hole in the very center of the tape.

·
Registered
557 Posts
..or maybe abit more distance between the eye to the sight ?
I have the same prob with my Faz Mk1 sight yet a Longbranch Mklll sight is bang on.

·
36,972 Posts
While the really tiny holes are best for accuracy, they can be a bad thing in low light situations. Like a scope, you want good light transfer. On a cloudy day or in early morning or later evening, I find the larger aperture is better.
Also, it depends on the type of front sight and the type of target - lots of variables to get a combination that 'feels' right!

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this is just for fooling around on paper with. if its too small i'll just make the hole bigger!
thanks!

·
Registered
216 Posts
On the micrometer rear sights

there are two different versions of the battle peep. One of them had a small battle peep on it.I think my Savage is like that - wil have to check.

One idea is you could try heat shrink over the battle peep that way you can feel the hole of the battle peep and know where to poke your hole.

Or another idea is to fine an aperature that would fit through the hole and use a little nut on the other side to keep it in place.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
I'va always thought the same about my Model 4. I had considered a modification similar to BigDog's suggestion, but I hate to make modifications to my old rifles.

I think I'll try the tape suggestion next time I go to the range.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi billy! you might want to try glueing a small oring inside your peep sight, it would almost self center itself. you can usually find them at a hardware store. good luck

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i stuck some black tape on there. and put a pinhole in it.the Field of view is just enough to encompass the entire front sight.
i wonder if it'll work?
i'll find out today.
my next thought is to put some extremely fine wire crosshairs on it instead. just glue em on .
i only shoot at the range so it being delicate is not a pressing concern.

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
this is what it looks like with the tape

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
billy I wonder if you could find a washer with a hole the size your looking for and super glue it to the exsisting sight if the surface is flat to glue it too. You can always break it free if it didn't work and you can color the washer with a black sharpie marker. Just wondering if that can hep ya.
A.H

1 - 20 of 28 Posts