close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Enfield savage sniper rifle?

Discussion in 'Enfield Rifles' started by Traumanurse, Feb 2, 2014.

1. I have a 1943 No4MkI*, ser# 12C67xx, US PROPERTY stamped on receiver, S51 stamped on buttstock, S stamped on trigger housing, bolt ser# matches receiver, buttstock and receiver lower stock have been shellacked but are in great shape, missing front and top stock. Is this truly a barn find sniper rifle and if so what is value.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
    MJ11 and texnmidwest like this.
  2. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Welcome to the G&G forums. Do you have pics?

3. At work and phone doesn't want to up load them. I'll have to try to post pics tomorrow

4. Does it have the two scope-bracket mounting pads in the left side of the receiver?

5. ke4sky

ke4sky G&G Newbie

6. I bought a couple of rifles at a garage sale and the guy threw this in--said it was something his dad gave him and it sat in the corner of his garage for 30+ years. It only has one bracket on left rear of receiver and no ser# markings for scope on buttstock. Downloaded milsurps faking sniper rifles and all markings and identifiers point towards savage sniper never outfitted for scope. Having a tough time uploading pics-I think I have one of left side of receiver loaded up now. Should I strip shellacking off stock? Or leave it alone till I'm sure of what this is?

Attached Files:

7. Here are a few other pics I have. Not a complete rifle, but could be nice.

Attached Files:

8. GUNZABLAZIN

GUNZABLAZIN G&G Evangelist

What makes you think its a sniper? I have a Savage U.S. PROPERTY Enfield, just curious what the sniper markings would be?

9. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

Left side of a (T) sniper..

Attached Files:

10. GUNZABLAZIN

GUNZABLAZIN G&G Evangelist

I knew that the T was a marking for a British Sniper, didn't know if there was a different designation for a U.S.

11. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

It looks like it started out as a (T), it may have been one but got dis-assempled.
    A finished MK1(T) had a 'T' stamp and a completely different type rear stock.

Attached Files:

12. Jay

Jay Old man, No tact... Staff Member

13. There is no U.S. marking because that marking "T" was applied England by Holland & Holland, where the rifle was converted.

I wouldn't go that far. A 4T has exactly the same stock as a regular No.4 but with the addition of a cheek rest. The cheek rests were applied at Holland & Holland who also stamped "S51" on the butt stock. It looks like then OP's rifle's butt stock has simply lost its cheek rest.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  14. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

I was gonna guess it was just another sporterized Enfield with scope mount holes drilled in it. But after seeing M14man's photos, I'm not guessing. Sure looks like it could be a 4T, I don't know much about them.

15. Meant to type 1942 for year on first thread. Buttstock has S51 1/4 inch height stamp on it and 2 holes on too of stock drilled 3 inches apart (for the cheek pad?) also buttstock is different than my 1943 enfields. Bore is 5 groove and barrel length is 25.2 inches. From what I've read through milsurps, quite a few savages were sent to holland and holland but were never fully outfitted. Remember, I got this at a garage sale and the guy didn't know what it was, much less try to pass it as a sniper rifle. After disassembling it to clean and do a functions test did I start researching it and am finding quite a few markings that lead me to believe it may be a never fully converted model. I was initially going to fix it up for my kid to plink with but will probly try to find the missing stock pieces and make her half decent again.

Attached Files:

16. SNO4MKI

SNO4MKI G&G Newbie

From the pics and the serial number, it looks to me like a Savage No4 MkI* T (Less Telescope), which basically means it was partially converted but never fitted with a scope. Most of the Savage T Less Telescope rifles are found to be in the 12C, 13C, 14C, and 15C blocks

17. Thanks sno4MKI. Any thoughts on where I can pick up front stock pieces and hard ware?? I've looked on fleabay but not sure if those are decent prices. Also any idea of value?

18. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

Try Liberty Tree Collectors and Springfield Sporters for the stock pieces and any other parts.

19. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Drool...that's purdy.

20. I am inclined to agree with SNO4MKI, seem to me to be unfinished...........
    Numrich has the stock in stock & at a not to bad a price.
    PARTS LIST - NO 4 Accessories | Numrich Gun Parts