Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1943, Savage made U S Property Enfield. When I try to fire it the firing pin makes a small impression in the primer but does not fire. Where should I start with trouble shooting this?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Take your bolt apart and thoroughly clean it, perhaps it is filled with cosmoline. If that is not a problem look at the firing pin itself, check the protrusion as well as the spring pressure. If that is not the problem your next step is to check the headspace as this is a rimmed cartridge. If the headspace is bad you'll need a properly set up Gunsmith.HTH

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,857 Posts
Head space. If the head space is off, there are different front end bolt assemblies that can be installed to typically correct the issue. If it shot ok before, not a likely cause.

Ammo, did you switch or try something different, a reload perhaps? Some primers are set deeper.

Speaking of primers, some are harder than others.

Firing pin damaged or worn. Have heard of a broken firing pin still dimpling a primer a tad bit but not firing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have never owned an Enfield before. I have never fired this one. I am using new ammo that I bought at a gun show. The ammo is marked "WW Super 303 British" and is declared to be new.

Thanks for all the comments.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I bought a No 4 Mark 1 (jungle carbine conversion) I thinkit was from Navy Arms. Came with a Mark III bolt head. Make sure ur bolt head is stamped with 0,1,2,3. If not is prob Mark III. Springfield Sporters has the No 4 bolt heads at reasonable prices. mdj696

·
Premium Member
30,706 Posts
Take your bolt apart and thoroughly clean it, perhaps it is filled with cosmoline. If that is not a problem look at the firing pin itself, check the protrusion as well as the spring pressure. If that is not the problem your next step is to check the headspace as this is a rimmed cartridge. If the headspace is bad you'll need a properly set up Gunsmith.HTH
i agree i betcha thats it.clean er up .keep us posted

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 1943, Savage made U S Property Enfield. When I try to fire it the firing pin makes a small impression in the primer but does not fire. Where should I start with trouble shooting this?
Zack43:
Did you get it shooting? If so, what did you find?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts