close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Essex 1911?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by EddieGunnZ, Apr 9, 2002.

1. EddieGunnZ

EddieGunnZ G&G Newbie

Hello everybody I'm new here and I have a few questions to ask all you die hard 1911 fans. I was at a local shop here in my neck-o-da-woods and I seen a few used Essex 1911's -- Now I was going to ask the dealer about them but the they where just so busy and I didn't have time to sit and chew the fat, So I decided to ask you good-o-guys here @ G&GF. So what is the essex 1911? Is it a custom piece? Production piece? Is it a 100% 1911 clone? What is it???? The price was good and if it's a good piece I will go back tomorrow and give it the once over and who knows, I just might have a new (used) handgun in my collection. Thanx

OBTW this is my 5th post so I guess I'm not really new anymore...hehehe ------ thanx guys

Last edited: Apr 10, 2002
  2. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Welcome! I have a 1911 built on an Essex frame with GI parts. From my recollection Essex frames are cast and strong... I know mine is. If there was any trouble with any particular production run of these maybe some of the other members will let you know. Mine has performed very well.

Jesse

3. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Eddie,
    I've used several essex frames and they are of good quality and use all the standard usgi parts. I don't know if they ever built complete guns or not, they do build slides also. I know of one guy that got a frame and the sear spring slot was in the wrong location, he called them and they shipped him another one no questions asked so I'd say their customer service is great. That is about all I know about Essex. I'd look and see if they have a website. Good luck and good shooting! Eric

4. EddieGunnZ

EddieGunnZ G&G Newbie

Well guys thanx for your input -- I never made it back to that shop. I'll try tomorrow. And thanx again guys...

5. EddieGunnZ

EddieGunnZ G&G Newbie

I went to that shop today and took a real good look at the Essex 1911. There where 3 before but I was told that one was sold (the one I was looking at before). 1 of the ones left has a Colt slide but the frame to slide fit is so tight that you can barely work the slide; but I was told it shoots fine (hard to believe). The other one had no markings on the slide except .45 ACP so I didn't know what it was. It looked ok. Had some holster wear on the slide. The bbl looked good. The slide worked properly. They are asking $375+tax. Think I'm going to sleep on it tonight. I will probably go back this weekend and see if they will let me shoot it and I will make up my mind from there. Thanx for all the info.

:assult: EddieGunnZ:assult: