Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an extreme example of a M44 with a removable scope. Although I think the stock is a little too much for my taste on a M44, it gives one an idea where you can go with this!

This pic is courtesy of Andrew at Kalinka Optics, offered up during my ongoing discussion with him in regards to a removeable mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
I would prefer a composit stock of similar design with less mass around the magazine myself...But it looks nice...A.H

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, me too AH. I want to build one with removeable mount, refinish the stock and add a leather cheek piece. I am not finding the cheek piece anywhere tho. Have seen vinyl ones on ebay. I may just buy the vinyl, and use it as a template to make a leather one with enough rise to fix the "stock weld" with your cheek problem. Same problem inherent with a 91/30 sniper. More of a chin-weld there!

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,972 Posts
Uh-oh! Now ya got me eyeing my little bubba'd T53 carbine.

Now where to get the heavy barrel and that neat stock . . . ? :)

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Oh, man!... That's exactly the kind of stock I was thinking of trying to develop (no woodworking skills :-/) for my 1891/59! I wouldn't alter the original stock, just replace it, since the 91/59 is as accurate as my 91/30 ex-sniper.

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
I found this rifle on another forum; it is an excellently done job. The builder/owner is known as FMSNIPER...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Like the idea, but hate how racy those old war horses look.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
This has spurred me on to finish my Richards walnut stock for the '47 M44. B-e-a-u tiful updates guys.

Thanks

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,322 Posts
Other than wishing he had used a round receivered one instead of a rarer hex receiver its pretty cool....:cool:

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
i have a great shooting polish m44 that some dummy hacked the bayo lug off and generally made it look like caca with no hope of restoration .
ok gentlemen this is the only time i'm going to say this......
i am going to modify my milsurp!

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,322 Posts
i have a great shooting polish m44 that some dummy hacked the bayo lug off and generally made it look like caca with no hope of restoration .
ok gentlemen this is the only time i'm going to say this......
i am going to modify my milsurp!
Its already screwed so why not?

No harm, no foul...;)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Billy,

Let me know what you find as far as barrels for the mosin. I'm interested in that as well.

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
the bore of this rifle is in wonderful shape.
i got this group @ 100 yds. 0.942 in.

its already drilled and tapped for a scope.
i just need to do a bent bolt mod.,clean up the mess the butcher made of the place where the bayo lug was and reblue.
and since i am doing this i will find a stock that suits my fancy.
god what a shame all matching numbers everywhere, stock in great shape.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
This has got me wanting to buy an M-38 or M-44 and turning it into something of a scout rifle if I could ever bring my self to do that to a miltary surplus rifle. Maybe I should hold out for one with a busted up stock.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
I've thought of making Mosin stocks. Can't say they'd be cheap, and I don't know if I'd be cost effective compared to Richards. But it's definitely crossed my mind.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
BRG3,

You do awesome work, but Richard's has the volume pricing down... However, IIRC, their stuff is mainly plain jane stuff.

What about starting with mosin stocks that need refinishing, and adding some shape to them, then finishing them however you want? They're fat enough already that you would probably have a little room to play...

·
I can justify anything.
4,879 Posts
I found this rifle on another forum; it is an excellently done job. The builder/owner is known as FMSNIPER...
I'm not a big fan of the blue, but that's just me.. Now, if it was in a dark green and grey... Hubba hubba...

I'd love to be able to do that to a stock.. I can refinish them, but basically, the best thing I do with wood is cut it around 20" long and toss it in my wood stove when it's cold out.:34:

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
i got my m-44 for $45 so its not a big deal anyway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts