Fair price on GP100

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Big Tool, May 5, 2008.

1. Big Tool

Big Tool G&G Newbie

MS
    I found a Ruger GP100 for sale locally. Stainless, 357, 4" new condition.
    350Cash. Is that a decent deal???

Can't find many on gunbroker to compare prices.

2. I would say that's about average. 300 would be more to my liking, but that's a good pistol.
    Mike

3. Big Tool

Big Tool G&G Newbie

MS

Yeah that's what i offered, but he countered at 350.00. I may let the guy sit on it a bit longer.

4. Romey

Romey G&G Enthusiast

Thats about what they go for in my area,sometimes a bit more sometimes a bit less.

5. Big Tool

Big Tool G&G Newbie

MS
  6. Romey

Romey G&G Enthusiast

IMHO they are one of the better if not the best model made for that caliber . When someone asks me my opinion on wheel guns its the top 2 of my list for .357 the other being the GP101 and both rate in my top 5 for wheel guns in general. If you can get him down to $325 Id jump all over it not that I wouldnt give $350 but I hate giving asking price for anythig, its the horse trader in me:09:

7. I've always liked the S&W model 66 combat for the .357 magnum caliber also.
    The thing about the auction sites, you'll then have to factor in shipping and insurance. So in the end, you could pay more and the worst part, you won't be able to inspect it until you get it unlike the one you've posted about.

My suggestion, counter offer with $325.00? If still a no go, then let him sit on it.

8. Big Tool

Big Tool G&G Newbie

MS

I took your advice GM and countered at 325.00. I think I will be getting a good deal at that price. Like you mentioned, if you buy it off the internet shipping will be 25-30 then I have to pay my dealer another 25.00. So there's 50.00 right there plus the gun has to be registered which i don't like.

9. Glad to here you may soon have a most excellent revolver. Only thing I'd look at first is the front sight. If it has the plain black one I've seen on a lot, go to Ruger's website and get this. They change out real quick and easy and aren't expensive at all.
    Ruger On-line Store - Ruger® GP100 Red Front Sight

Congrats and happy shooting.

10. Big Tool

Big Tool G&G Newbie

MS

Thanks, I will definitely be buying that if I buy the revolver.

11. Well only if it doesn't already have one. I only know this because my brother bought the one our other brother had and the front sight on it, the original one it came with, had a black insert of all things. Some, later on, newer models, came with the red insert front sight.

But yea, if it needs it, for $13.85 and what, maybe $4-$6bucks for shipping, why not. And if you do, you'll see it's real simple to swap out. On the barrel, at the sight, there's a pin, push it in, spring loaded if I remember correctly, and while holding it in, remove the old and and put in the new one.

Again, hope you get it.

12. Big Tool

Big Tool G&G Newbie

MS
    Thanks for the advice on the counter GM. I countered at 325 and he accepted. I'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow evening. He said he bought it brand new and has only shot 1/2 a box a shells through it. Said he still had the other 1/2. Maybe i can talk him out of them as lagniappe. :)

I'm pretty excited about this one. I was wanting a 357 real bad a couple months ago, but didn't rush on anything. Glad i didn't now.

13. Big Tool

Big Tool G&G Newbie

MS
    Well I went and met with the guy today and the gun is flawless. There is not a single scratch or nick on it.

I had asked if he had the original box, but it was just a carboard deal and he had thrown it away. He did have a nice S&W padded box that he let me have which was a nice little extra.

I couldn't be happier. I also picked up a an old remington woodsmaster while i was in the area so I got a double dose today.

Attached Files:

14. Looks beautiful BT. You will need the orange front sight though. I noticed in your 3rd pick it's as black as night. lol You could for the time being get a small detail paint brush and put a little fluorescent orange paint on it if you wanted. But what I showed you is the way to go in the long run.

Glad he accepted the offer and that you got it. Very nice looking revolver. I also like that style of grip. you get the beauty of wood and the good grip from the rubber. Best of both worlds. lol And it goes great with stainless. Again, congrats.

15. Romey

Romey G&G Enthusiast

Hey i told you to counter with 325$ first, i feel left out!:09:

16. It`s just the best ALL ROUND 4 inch .357 mag revolver.

I said all round, by the way..

I bet you enjoy it.

17. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Congratulations.And if you need a room to stay in until your wife settles down,come on over. sam.

18. Big Tool

Big Tool G&G Newbie

MS

Sorry i missed the post. Thanks Romey i think 325 was a good buy on it. :196:

I was getting the eyes the other day so i may have to take you up on that one. :34:

Last edited: May 8, 2008