close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fajitas?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by oneastrix, Apr 10, 2002.

1. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

If anybody is interested in a recipe for south TX fajtas, let me know and I'll post. I swear by them!

2. You bet! Let's fire up the grill. What part of south texas do you live.

3. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

San Antonio, TX Recipe for "mystyle" fajitas

You need: Fajita meat. I prefer pre-cut stir fry beef. It's not as chewy, but skirt steak will work fine. Just slice it prior to cooking.

Hot mesquite fire (or smoke of choice).
    Bottle of Italian dressing.
    optional shot of tequila for marinade (optional shot for the cook!)
    1 can of diced rotel tomato's w/green chilies.
    Sliced onion and bell peppers of all colors.
    Powdered fajita seasoning porportional to the ammount of meat you want to cook.

Put meat and ALL ingred's into a large zip lock and let it marinate. Use all the italian dressing you want. There is never too much! Let marinate for an hour or so.

Put a cast iron skillet on grill and let heat.
    Once hot, pour contents from zip lock into cast iron and relax.

The fire really can't be too hot as the marinade will boil and keep the food from burning. Stir from time to time.

When meat is done and veggies are tender as heck, romove cast iron and pour into a strainer.

Throw the food into tortillas w/ your choice of cheese, guacamole, etc, and tear it up.

This might not be totally original, I don't know. I came up with it on my own, but it wouldn't shock me of someone did it first; I'm only 25 years old! Enjoy!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2002
  4. umm umm good.

Man that sounds pretty darn good. I'll have to try it on my next day off. Can i use a beer had to give up the hard stuff years ago.
    Time to fire up the grill! :nod: :cheer:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2002
  5. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Beer is excellent in fajitas and easier to drin than Teguila!

6. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

My fajitas

I use chicken steak or ground. Cut into tiny pieces. The chicken I cook in cubes remove and chop (like BBQ) and re add.

Add chicken onions and peppers into pan with oil. Add Chili Powder and Cumin and this is a MUST Cilantro. I add all my seasoning to my tatse so I do not really measure out anything.

Maybe 1-2 TBSP chili powder and 1 tsp Cumin. 3 pinches of chopped cilantro . try this for 4 people then play around with the seasoning as you like. (Its just a guess) Tomatoes are fine also.

cook till done! eat well

7. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    How do you all season your iron skillets?

I'm not sure if we covered this before, but there are some new folks around who may have good ideas too.

All of my iron skillets are well seasoned (inherited from family members from way back)

My brother recently gave me a big skillet hardly used due to his wife's desire for a glass top electric stove. Any good 'ole methods for seasonong it?

Joe, don't tell me with salt and pepper! :D

8. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Let me get back to you.......my wife is asleep right now......she knows the trick....it involves oil and oven heat.......

Also...the easiest way is to cook up a chicken fried steak in it....grease, seasoning and all.....then eat the steak....then leave the skillet to set on the stove over night.....(turn the dang stove off obviously!).......then pour the grease out.....wipe the skillet out w/ a paper towel or two....and heat it on the stove to dry and lock in seasonings.......do not use soap and water.......EVER! But you knew that.

9. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

TO SEASON CAST IRON SKILLETS, ETC.

Heat oven to 300 degrees.
    Coat inside & outside of your iron skillets, cornbread molds, etc. with a solid vegetable shortening (I used Crisco solid).
    Put jelly roll sheet on bottom shelf, in oven.
    When skillets are coated, turn them upside down, on oven shelf & bake at 300 degrees, for 1 hour. When finished, remove pans from oven, let cool & coat just inside again & put back into oven; for 1 more hour. (salt and pepper to taste jerry..;) )

10. Agreed that's the way my grandmother used to do it. You might want to disconnect the smoke alarms in your home.

11. NRAJOE

My dad has one that is very well seasoned, has had it since 1938!

12. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

What does the jelly roll do?

13. NRAJOE

Sheet just keeps the oven clean...actually use..ahem..tin foil....:)

14. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Gotcha ya..... I miss read it. I was like, what the he!! does a donut do to season your skillet!LOL

15. NRAJOE

Thought it "sweetened" the pot eh? :)

16. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

That's what I was trying to incorporate into your directions. I just decided that you'd finally lost your mind!LOL Then I remembered that you lost it long ago!:)

17. NRAJOE

Why yes...I did lose my mind long ago...check out the Five Finger Fillet thread...you'll see!!! wahaaaahaaaa! :insane: :)

18. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

I was unable to open it on my vehicle lap top....will try again when I get home off duty......1*

19. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Thanks for the tips guys. If I can ever get off the stinki'n road I'll fix that skillet right up.