Fake Enfield Sniper on Gunbroker.com?

Discussion in 'Enfield Rifles' started by cold queso, May 5, 2008.

1. cold queso

cold queso G&G Regular

Please take a look at this gun.

GunBroker.com guns: BRITISH ENFIELD NO4 MKI SNIPER RIFLE W/ SCOPE (item: 98294924 ends: May-09-08 08:09:24 AM)

I find at least 4 things that lead me to believe it's a fake No 4. Mk1 (T)

1) No Angled Sling Swivel in front of Magazine

2) Not Marked with (T) after the No 4 Mk I on Receiver

3) Base Pad Screws not staked.

4) Cheekpiece affixed too far back on butt stock.

5) ??? Lend-Lease Rifle (Savage) modified to Sniper ???

Not saying the seller is trying anything here - he may well have been passed a fake. Is there someone on here with more experience than me with (T) variations?

2. Enfield trader

Enfield trader G&G Newbie

Some early T's do not have the

normal markings. Looks about right except the scope and mount are not matching to the rifle. Is funny how the cheek piece sits back pretty far. I'd like to see the pads without the scope and mount on it.

Yes Savage's were made into snipers but most were not scoped as I understad.

From what I remember the screws got staked during refurbishment, they were not done until they found out later that the screws needed staked. I think this was post WWII if I have it straight in my brain.

Price is too high in my opinion for what you are getting. I figure it like this scope and mount approx $1500-$2000 , rifle if real $600-$800

This I believe came from that big gun auction that was one guys collection and there were several snipers of different kinds.

Last edited: May 5, 2008

3. cold queso

cold queso G&G Regular

Thanks for your insight, Enfield Trader!

4. ggordon

ggordon G&G Newbie

As I understand it, staking started about 1946. So, unstaked means the gun left military service before 1946 (ie. was liberated to the private sector) and therefore was never refurbished which would necessitate staking.

Interestingly, the screws on the scope rings (clamps) are staked, so the scope and mount remained in military service post-'46