close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Faster Doglips..

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Picked up a pentium 3 computer from a company that went bankrupt for $175 with monator and toys....spent the last 3 days setting this thing up...reformating the hard drive finding drivers for the cards...man these funny boxes are a pain!!! Liveing room looks like a robot exploded and dogs have leared some new words. I rember the old days with the dip switches and stuff and thought that was anoying but this plug and pray stuff makes me miss the old dip swithces....come on who rembers 300 baud modems and 2 5 1/4 inch flopies being a high speed system....

2. tonto

tonto G&G Newbie

YESSIR I remember when 386's were fast suckers too. I just got done getting my PC back together and my lil Schnauser has learned a few off color words for herself too, not to speak of my 4 year old. Did you pick it up at frontenac flea market or at byrds plaza?

3. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

hehe...Welcome to the world of speed DogLips!

I just got through building a Mac Daddy of Computers for our own Jesse.
    It has this inside:
    1-XP1900, overclocked from a 1200Mhz to 1600Mhz
    1-80MM ball bearing heat sensor fan
    2-512 Megs of ram(1024 total)
    1-256 stick of ram
    1-Ram cooler with fan
    3-System Fans
    1-DVD/CDR Burner
    1-CDR
    1-Floppy
    1-Western Digital 80 Gig Hard drive
    1-Sound Blaster Extigy Pro

This is a true gaming computer....Its sweeeeeeeeeeet on the speed.

But I remember the dip switches, as when I got my first computer what a long time ago, I thought I was the man on campus with only a 33Mhz processor and 400Kb hard drive!

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Wow, you guys have got the power! I still occasionally fire up my Atari 800 and Commodore 64 just for fun. I always did like antiques.

5. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Doglips, your new computer sounds about as fast as my OLD laptop. I have 3 computers on my home network, 2 are XPs, my laptop is a pentium 3, and I am putting together a 900 MHz tbird system from old leftover parts for a Linux box. The XP systems are pretty similar to the system Chris described, but only 512 MB DDR RAM. My first computer was a Apple 2 plus (1 MHz, 8 bit))when they first came out. It had a massive 64 kB RAM and a low density, single sided 5 1/4" floppy. It was awesome. My friends had to use carts or casettes to run software. Back then, programs were sold on 5 1/4" floppies in ziploc bags with MIMEOGRAPHED instructions. An alternative was to buy magazines like Compute and TYPE the code for software into your computer. I do have a nice antique C-64 system. I also have a Vectrex console.

6. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Klaus are you into computer modding? You know like putting windows into your computer, painting them up, and what nots?

7. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Tonto you must live in the Cocoa Area, auctly I live near byrd plaza......actualy got it from one of these Dot.coms that shut down...friend of a friend set up. Kluse Might be slow but beats the old 8088 processes I was useing. :)

8. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

The computers are one thing I let my wife worry about. She's the computer wiz, so I let her have at it.

:)

9. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Hey I still miss my 8088!

I bought one of those new fanged 300 Baud modems for old man Hayes.

I lost the papers for it many years ago. I called them a few years ago and asked if they had them.

They asked me if it stilled worked and for the serial number. I told them.

They said: Hey thats one of the very first my Grand dad built on his dinning room table!

I sent it to them for the Hayes musesum :)

Now all I have is this 1.7gig Athlon XP, Pong don't even flicker :-(

10. Wasn't that the name of Russ Meyer movie?

"Faster Doglips, Kill, Kill!"

11. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Anyone else use the ACOUSTICALLY coupled 300 baud modems? A while ago, Bell telephone owned all the phones and it was illegal to connect any other device directly to the phone lines. You had to manually dial up the phone number. Then when the computer answered, you had to put the phone on top of a box that had these rubber cups on it. The box, or "MODulator/DEModulator", contained a speaker and microphone that allowed the computer to actually talk on the phone, using sounds. It usually had a line printer next to it, instead of a monitor.

12. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I remember the TRS-80. And I'm only 20.
    On the other hand, my Pentium I 200MMX tends to do what I need faster than my school issued Pentium III 500. Go figure.

13. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I rember the TRS 80...my first computer was a Tandy 1000ex? 8088...1 floppy 5 1/2 internal with 512k or ram and hooked to the tv...did the local BBS thing at 300baud and printed out on a daisy wheel printer...downloading a txt file of a joke took hours...and a pic or file was only an option if you set it up to download while you slept.

14. tonto

tonto G&G Newbie

I got sucked into a tandy too, i remember the salesman last comment"yes it is totally IBM compatible and can easily be upgraded using anyones parts" yeah right Good news is that old 286 is still clicking along, my son uses it to play the hangman game that came with it, and it has never crashed, now everything else i own well like twice a year they take a dump, price to pay for speed i guess.
    Oh yeah i live in wonderful downtown _Viera, what a joke It was great till now but everything is developed and all my country hunting and fishing is houses and businesses, not even one stinking cow! Glad i still have 200 acres in NY to go home to for hunting season. Nothing up there but trees, I think everyone moved down here come to think about it?!!:p

15. Dang,

I had my modem gate fried open during a lightning storm a few days ago.

I have spent the past two days getting my new modem to work.

I couldn't imagine trying to build a complete computer and the terms used today are as confusing as my ex wife was when she was sober.

16. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Get an XP, DDR RAM, DVD-ROM, CD-RW, TFT LCD, ATX w. USB and you'll be fine.