• FAL/L1A1 of some variety

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • AR-10

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • HK-G3/91 of some variety

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Saiga .308 (standard or converted)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VEPR II (standard or with mag conversion)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Remington 7400, BAR, Win 100, etc)

Votes: 6 26.1%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
35,663 Posts
I couldn't vote! Danged chads gettin' in the way. LOL I got a message saying my session had some kinda problem. Oh well.
My favorite .308 is my Spanish FR8. Dead-on accurate at 50 and 100 yards with the Cetme-style sights. It's my most accurate milsurp.

·
Registered
69 Posts
H&K-91. Good sights, accurate, well made, reliable, tough, availability of parts, straight insertion of mags (no "rocking" them in) low recoil for faster follow-up shots if necessary. And it's really cool when you "slap" the bolt handle to charge the weapon!

·
Registered
11,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should have said semi-auto, thought it was assumed.
But if you'd rather have a bolt, even with all the advantages of semi, guess that's worth saying.
About the HK-91... It's also one of the simplest guns I've stripped. More so than AK or AR-180. And it'll take plenty of crud before it jams.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Out of the choices listed, I voted for the M14 because it is reliable and there are a large number of parts available to accurize it. However, I'm actually a big fan of bolt actions and if I could have just one rifle chambered in 308, it would be my Savage 10FP. Heck, if I could have just one rifle of any make, model, and caliber to use for the rest of my life, it would be my Savage 10FP in 308; well, out of factory rifles anyhow, customs are another story.:D

·
Registered
277 Posts
i've got a L1A1 & a Savage 11flc (bolt action .308, barrel cut down to 20") but i like my HK91 best of all for all the reasons already mentioned plus it's balanaced well & the rifle & the mags are sturdy.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My absolute favorite is my Remington Model 600. Short, light, handy, and incredibly accurate with a variety of ammo.

·
Registered
11,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This from FALPhil? (gasp!) While as yet none have voted for the FAL?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I voted for the FN-FAL. I love the feel, looks and accuracy of FAL's. From my experience, they are pretty dependable rifles. The recoil isn't too bad either. Once I get my STG-58 working right, that will be my favorite .308. If bolt guns where included, my Savage 110FP Tactical. I voted for guns that I own, because I really do not have much else expirence with the others, except the M-14.

M1 Garand???I could be wrong, but I thought those where .30-06, unless you are talking about a tanker? Also, isn't the BAR .30-06 too?? I am not sure about those, just thought I would ask.

-Tim

·
Registered
11,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are quite a few Garands available in 308. And the BAR I mentioned was the modern hunting rifle, not the 1918, although now that I think of it, there are some of them in 308 too.

·
Registered
11,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, AR-Tim, you said you voted for FAL, but I don't see any FAL votes logged. Anyone know what's wrong? You sure you hit the right button?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
35,663 Posts
Okay, discounting bolt rifles, I'd take the M14 since I carried one occasionally in the Navy. It always gave me a good feeling carrying a solid reliable rifle. We didn't have M16's on our frigate.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Woops! Don't know what happened, but I voted again. Probably clicked on FAL but didn't click on vote.....I don't know, its been a long week.....

-Tim

·
Registered
934 Posts
That's a loaded question for me G3, out of the list choices I as always have to lean toward the FAL but for the bottom line I would have to say a Remington 700 short action in a Accuracy Internation AICS chassis. For those "out yonder" shots the AICS system is as good as it gets. Of course working off a Rem 700 action the caliber choices will make you crazy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts