close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Favorite 45ACP handloads

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Jack O, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

Give me your pet load for a 230grn cast lead target killer. TIA to those who post.

2. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

5.6g Win 531 with a WLP, very light crimp Shooting out of a 1917 manf. 1911 gov't

3. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

Jarcp would that powder be 231 Win. or is that a new powder that I don't have in my componet catologue.

4. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

Thanks jack-o, My mistake. Yes Win 231

5. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

jarcp where did you come buy the load data? It's .5 grains over any max load I have in my books. I'm not critisizing just want to keep all my fingers. I'm atached to them.

6. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

Jack-O, trial & error, It's what produces the best groups from my pistol, and I show no signs of over pressure. Are you sure that's .5g OVER? My Hornady fifth edition shows the following for the Win 231, 230g:

700 750 800
    5.0g 5.4g 5.7g

to tell you the truth, according to my notes, I've taken it all the way up to 6.1g of 231 with no signs of over pressure using wadcutters of a 5/95 mix, sized 0.451

7. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

Acording to Winchester and Lee it's over but you are correct I checked the Hornady book and they go all the way to 6.2. thanks for the info some things have just got to be right.

8. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

Hey Jack-O, like you said, you just want to keep your fingers, AND I was wrong about the powder 531 vs. 231...

9. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

Thanks for the info i'll give it a try as soon as I can get my hands on some 231 my local supplier is out.

10. hipowr

hipowr G&G Newbie

NE PA
    I really think Winchester is conservative with all of their data. Most bullet manufacturers show much hotter loads with Winchester powder then Winchester does. Notably with the .45, the .223, and .308's all of which I reload with Winchester powder. I usually follow the Winchester data max loads and don't worry about pushing them because I know they usually are nowhere near actual maximum.

later,
    AJ

11. vodkazombie

vodkazombie G&G Newbie

The relative scarcity of Vihtavuori in my area really keeps a lot of the guys here from using it. Has anyone worked up a load with their powders (I understand that 320 is good stuff) and can they share their experiences with the group?

Me, I'm a WCC-231 guy. Willing to try V, though.

12. oldguy

oldguy G&G Newbie

For accuracy titegroup powder and 200swc
    is tough to beat, also for practice and
    accuracy the mild or medium loads is
    always best.!!!!

13. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

Thanks oldguy What kinda numbers are you runnin in grains for the tightgroup for cast bullets?

14. 45 acp 230 gr Jacketed Hornaday #3

My Hornaday # 3 manual in the 230 gr. only lists a jacketed bullet and on WW231 goes to 6.0 grains for 800 fps.

I guess as time went on, for you younger fellows the loads were reduced in the manuals to keep you out of trouble.

Paul Jones Retired California Saeco Bulletcasting tool Rep

15. I use a 200gr LSWC over 5 grains of Bullseye. Bill Wilson gave me that load and it has served me well for 15 years.

16. JerryM

JerryM G&G Newbie

I also use 230 grn cast over 5.6 W231 in my Sig P220. No problems, just a little dirty. Good accuracy and recoil.