Favorite Cereal With Milk

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Brother Bob, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    At Chateau Cyrano, the only person who eats cereal with milk is Princess Whinybitch, who only eats Frosted Flakes. Junior and I eat the stuff dry as snacks, but the only cereal I eat with milk these days is Neil Gaiman Oatmeal, and that only gets a splash of milk, mainly to keep it from turning into a brick as it cools off.

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

For the hot stuff, flavored oatmeal and grits. Grits is a major side dish, with cheese grits being a required accompaniment to fried fish.
    Cream Of Wheat? We used that slop in elementary school for paper mache art projects. Food it ain't!

Cyrano likes this.

3. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Brother Bob and shanebrews like this.
  4. shanebrews

shanebrews G&G Evangelist

Fr. Shane's Shrimp and grits

1 Cup grits
    1 Lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined (smaller is better)
    2 Cups cheese (something that melts well)
    4 Tbsp unsalted butter
    2 Anaheim, Poblano, or Hungarian Wax Peppers chopped
    ½ of an onion chopped
    4-5 strips of bacon
    Salt
    Pepper
    Garlic Salt
    Paprika
    Seafood Seasoning

1. Chop your bacon. Then fry it in a skillet.

2. Put 4 cups of water in a sauce pot. Salt the water (¼ tsp.)

3. Spoon your bacon out of the skillet and set aside. Do not drain the skillet.

4. Add your peppers and onions to the grease in the skillet. Salt and pepper and sweat them down.

5. As your vegetables are cooking, bring your water to a boil. Add the Cup of grits and a ¼ teaspoon of garlic salt.

6. Spoon your vegetables out of the skillet and add them and the bacon to the grits. Do not drain the skillet.

7. Add 1 Tbsp of butter to the grease in the skillet. Then add the shrimp. Season with ½ tsp Garlic Salt and Seafood seasoning to taste. Saute.

8. As your grits are boiling down, add the other 3 Tbsp of butter one at a time. Stir frequently. Also add ½ tsp of pepper and ½ tsp of Paprika.

9. You want the grits to be thickening and the shrimp coming done at about the same time.

10. Empty the contents of the skillet, grease and all, into the pot of grits.

11. Add the cheese a handful at a time and stir moderately until melted. Do this until all the cheese is incorporated. Supper's ready!

Yields several servings.

Brother Bob, Jaison and Jim Bridger like this.
  5. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    I like my grits with lots of butter, salt, and pepper. Never tried it with cheese. How do you make cheese grits, and will it work with mozzarella? That melts really well.

Jaison likes this.
  6. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Thanks ShaneB. I have been looking for a new recipe. Yours is exactly what I wanted. Thanks so much.:usa2:

shanebrews likes this.
  7. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

...You're killing me, bro.

That sounds incredible!

Brother Bob and shanebrews like this.
  8. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

My breakfast cereal this AM consisted of:
    Hotdogs simmered with sauerkraut, chopped kale, chopped onion, chopped garlic, chopped bell pepper, chopped black olives...

Jaison likes this.
  9. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Cyrano, any cheese that melts well will work, but Dad used Cheddar, gives a good rich flavor. The cafeteria where I worked used a lighter cheese, and it was nearly tasteless.
    Grits, like rice, are rather bland but will take on the flavor of what is added to them. Red eye gravy is great with grits, as are soft fried eggs. The liquid yolk blends in and really improves the flavor of grits and rice.

shanebrews likes this.
  10. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

The kale is s'pose to offset the bad stuff in the hotdogs???:rolleyes:

11. shop tom

shop tom G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Gotta go with Wheaties and milk. Bruce Jenner approved!

Oh, wait, he lost his knuts. Better go with Raisin Bran.

ChaZam likes this.
  12. Rice krispies, frosted flakes mixed with corn flakes, honey comb, special K vanilla with almonds, golden grahams, the offbrand pebbles both flavors, frosted mini-wheat, cinnamon toast crunch, and corn pops. I don't have just one. I also don't like all of them, all the time. I only like most of them, when I have a craving. I can always eat grits though.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

Huey Rider and Jaison like this.
  13. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

There isn't anything in the hotdogs worse than the carbs and sugar in any kind of cereal. At about the 1:25 mark Dr Berry specifically mentions hot dogs and he mentions the boxed foods in a few places in this video. He used to be what he referred to as a fat stupid doctor. He was about 300 pounds and prediabetic.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020