close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Favorite Military Leader

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Jesse, May 22, 2002.

1. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

OK guys, I'm a military history buff and I have to ask you: who was your favorite military leader and what distinguishes him above all the others? I'd have to say Chesty Puller was my favorite military leader. He was the only US Marine to win 5 Navy crosses; he led the most vicious campaigns in the Pacific against the Japanese and against the Red Chinese in North Korea. An underappreciated hero that deserves more recognition.

Chesty Puller

Jesse

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOU JESSE, MY STEP FATHER (GOD REST HIS SOUL) WAS IN WWII AND HAD TOLD ME ABOUT CHESTY AND I READ ABOUT HIM YEARS AGO. YOU SAY THAT NAME NOW AND PEOPLE LOOK AT YOU FUNNY AND SAY WHO? THATS A REAL SHAME!

3. 7mmag6

7mmag6 G&G Newbie

well for me Patton old blood and guts himself, chesty fuller was a **** fine commander and lived with his troops on the line. what can I say about Patton, that you dont know

4. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

my vote would be for General George Washington, nuff said!!!

5. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Robert E. Lee,followed closely by Gen. Erwin Rommel.

6. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

At this point, I would have to go with Washington. I also think very highly of one of my ex COs, Capt. Al Kaiss (CG-32), he may be an admiral now. I am very glad no one nominated that MacArthur idjit.

Last edited: May 22, 2002
  7. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

My personal favorite military leader is the uncle of one of my Navy buddies. Cmdr Marcus Aurelius Arnheiter commanded a destroyer during the Viet Nam War, and was a bit over-enthusiastic. He pulled stunts that he thought necessary, but were deemed dangerous and over-the-top by the brass in DC. Basically, he was too late for his time. Had he served in WWII, he would have been a hero, but in later times was considered a misanthropic maverick. He was eventually forced to retire.
    Another personal favorite was Admiral "Pug" Ainsworth, the "destroyerman's destroyerman". My ship, USS Ainsworth - FF1090 was named for him. He made his mark in WWII, in the Pacific.

8. Chesty Puller, One of the best.
    Oliver North, I knew and served with him. Total devotion to comand and the corp. This even ended his life with the corps.
    Thats one jar head I allways tried to be like The corp will and has missed him.

9. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Our FAC unit commander in the Gulf Col. Jeff.

10. General Joe Wheeler! The only man in North America to fight as a general in three wars. In the Mexican War he fought as a general under Zachary Taylor. In the War Between the States he fought for the Confederacy (God bless him!). In the Spanish-American War he left the US Senate to take command of the expeditionary force in Cuba and was Teddy R's commanding general.

Next to him, I would rate N.B. Forest as my favorite. When asked to what he attributed his success, Col. Forest replied, "I get there the firstest with the mostest." He was never defeated in a tactical engagement.

11. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

General Hal Moore, first man on the battlefield and last one off.
    Cheers to Cmd. Sgt. Mjr Basil Plummley, one tough SOB!

12. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

Alexander the Great, Julius Ceasar, Genghis Khan. Because they made the best use of what they had.

In mechanized warfare circles, Rommel, Wheeler, Schwartzkoff. Because they made the best use of what they had.

13. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Constantine

I'd nominate the Roman emperor Constantine for his leadership in trying to eliminate persecution of the Christians.

However, he was probably looking for political support at that time, too, just like current politicians.

14. johno

johno G&G Newbie

Robert E. Lee, without a doubt. The noblest american that ever lived, and the best general.

Rommel, Keselring and Guderian weren't too bad either.

15. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Crazy Horse

Another outstanding military warrior was Indian Chief Crazy Horse. He was one of the bravest indian fighters of recorded time. Check him out in your history books. His museum in South Dakota documents his feats and an almost unbelievable stone carving of him located there on his horse is amazing.

16. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

The South stood NO chance of military victory over the North. Half their ships and weapons had to be salvaged from the north. While I sympathize with the Confederacy, States Rights, etc., they lacked the capital or industrial base to sustain the war much longer.

17. After reading all the possibilities mentioned here, and there are some ****ed good ones, I'll stay with those I had in mind to begin with. General George Smith Patton, Jr. and General Robert E. Lee. Patton for his magnificant leadership and profound courage and Lee for his tactical genius.

18. Klaus, The outcome of the war between the states wasn't a military victory, nor would it have ever been. The confederacy was starved during the seige at Vicksburg. That was the action that resulted in the turn in things that eventually gave a victory to the U.S. I guess all is fair in war, but it was a victory without honor.

19. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

AS I said, the South simply did not have the resources to sustain the war. The North had all the industry, the European Allies, more money, more manpower, and was much better equipped. One of these days I will have to make an in depth study of the start of the Civil war. It seems clear to me, that many of the Lincoln administration's actions were unconstitutional. It also seems to me that states DID have the right to secede, under the US Constitution.

Last edited: May 23, 2002