Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
2,115 Posts
VZ,
I have got to hook you up with my brother-in-law. He's got a M91 (Westinghouse 1909) that has the same cross on his stock. The barrel doesn't have the surface rust, but the bayo does. Best we could tell, his served in the Russo-Finnish War. The serial number tracking is VERY difficult, as most of the weapons were dropped by the original "owner", and picked up by another soldier. The rifle was bought back in 1961, during an influx of the Mosin-Nagants. The original receipt said it was bought at a Walgreen's Drug Store. His uncle had bought 4 of them at $9 a piece! His uncle died many years ago, but left this one to my brother-in-law. He's only shot it once in 12 years. He covered the rifle and bayonet in grease to keep it from rusting any more until he could find out what the deal with the cross was. I don't have a scanner, but I'm going to try to get some pics of it online soon.
Keep us informed if you can find any info on yours......

· Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
37,465 Posts
M. R. Don, in the dark brown area just at the bottom of the last post of a thread, there is a button "new thread", click on this. Then you can enter your thread, and don't forget the subject.

· Registered
307 Posts
My only Mosin is my favorite.....my newly purchsed Romanian M-44
that I was shooting today as a matter of fact. Another (bad?) habit that I picked up....buying a Mosin! Don't know if I am immune to that bug, but the Mosin bug has bitten. We'll see if I am infected at the next gun show.....

-Tim

· Registered
570 Posts
Bump! Thought it was a fun topic.
My favorite Mosin has to be my Finnish M91 made by Tikka in 1942. It is my sweetest shooting, most accurate Mosin of the bunch. The reciever on it is even 1899 dated! Lots of history in this rifle!

· Banned
14,554 Posts
Depends on when you ask me

At the moment, my favorite is the Westinghouse m91 I bought through ebay. It apparently never left the US, and was in excellent condition except for a bubba'd stock. I bought a Finnish stock from Nick (aka ninwnc), refinished it and dropped the rifle into it.

Looks good, feels good, shoots straighter than I can hold it.

But I have an unissued stock for one of my M39's, and an unissued hand guard on its way from Finland. By the time I get done, that one may be my new pet...

· Banned
14,554 Posts
That's terrible

Russian M44. The only one I have currently, sadly.
They aren't designed to be alone, you know. In the big scheme of things, they were meant to hang out with entire legions of their own kind.

In a pinch, I suppose they can survive in a safe with nothing but other milsurps, or even sporting rifles and shotguns. But if you want a happy Mosin you should really get at least one more to keep it company...

· Registered
8,751 Posts
I know, I know. Maybe that's why I have been hesitant to buy another, they multiplyl like rabbits in the safe. Or so I'm told.

· Resident Sasquatch
9,501 Posts
I know, I know. Maybe that's why I have been hesitant to buy another, they multiplyl like rabbits in the safe. Or so I'm told.
That's a myth, I've been putting mine together for years and they haven't even produced a BB gun! I thought the M-39 and the 91\30 would at least produce a cute lil 91\59 for me, maybe I need to add a little mood lighting? :kinky:

· Registered
223 Posts
my finnish late production tikka m-28 assembled from what ever parts were available prior to the start of the m-28-30 run. remington walnut stock,birch hand guard, tula 1898 reciever, m-27 ft. sight, izhevsk bolt and magazine. this rifle was the 325th from the end of m-28 production. although my arsenal reconditioned chicom type 53 was my faviorate prior to the m-28

· Premium Member
30,787 Posts
It is things like this that make us remember what war is ...
PS: I may be a wuss, but I get teary eyed at battlefields where hundreds of brave and honorable men died.
If thats being a wuss i get choked up too brother....

· Premium Member
30,787 Posts
fave mosin

my 91/30 just cause its so cool looking (i think) but on other days its the 44 or maybe the 38?

· Premium Member
30,787 Posts
Yea, it always starts as just buying him a friend.... but give it a year or less and it will turn into a family! :D
well, it all started with a lonely m44. an orphan if you will...i bought 6 milsurps in 2 months!!! and he still wants company!!!:eek: and that doesnt even count the wasr10!

· Banned
14,554 Posts
You know, they play on your sympathies

well, it all started with a lonely m44. an orphan if you will...i bought 6 milsurps in 2 months!!! and he still wants company!!!:eek: and that doesnt even count the wasr10!
...and you can't let them get away with it. You have to ask, "who's going to be in charge of this gun safe: me, or some scroungy WWII Mosin who thinks I should kiss his interrupter/ejector just because he's a veteran of the Great Patriotic War?"

Unfortunately I lost that stand-off a long time ago, with the first 91/30 I ever bought. And today the Mosins are crowding out my shotguns, .22's and everything else. Take heed, oh ye gun collectors, and learn from my woeful tale...

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.