close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Favorite Squirrel recipes?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Big Dog, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Usually we just fry 'em like chicken, floured and seasoned to taste, and occasionally cook them in brown gravy with rice. GOOD!
    Does anybody have other ideas? How do you fix the "Prince of the Treetops"?

:nod:

2. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Can't say I've ever eaten "Tree Rat".

3. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    tree rats are pretty much just like chicken.:D

4. Jeffro

Jeffro G&G Newbie

Big Dog,
    Try this one....... Cut up the squirrel like you normally do to fry it. Dip all pieces in a mixture of milk and egg. Roll the pieces which have been dipped in the milk/egg mixture in potato chips which have been rolled out to a coarse (but not so coarse that they won't stay on the meat) consistancy. Then fry in CRISCO or LARD. GOOD eatin'!!!!
    Happy Trails, Jeffro (Jeff) :D

5. Klaus*** Good one. Big Dog, My grandmother use to make a killer squirrel stew. Haven't had it in years. Grandma's dead but I'll see if I can find the recipe.:nod:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2002
  6. Since we are on the subject of Tree Rats. My neighborhood is thick with the suckers. I put heavy guage screen under the eaves of my house to keep them out of the attic. Is their another deterrent to keep them out, other than death. And are city Tree Rats as good to eat as the wild ones. Just wondering , In case I can't afford groceries.:confused:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2002
  7. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

How to eliminate squirrels

Alan C:

Here's how my neighbor took care of his squirrels...can't say I'd recommend it but it worked for him.

He put bare 110 Volt AC wires around the bird feeder edge where the squirrel usually stood. Then he ran the insulated wire inside his house next to a window overlooking the feeder. The wire inside ran through a simple off/on toggle switch. Then he had a sound actuated switch (some call it a clapper switch) hooked to the wire.

When he saw the squirrel eating his bird feed and standing on the edge over the wire he turned the system on and clapped his hand...wham, bam, @$%&*$. The squirrel jumped about three feet high and my neighbor said the squirrel hasn't come back.

Oxford

Obviously, for safety reasons the system would have to be off whenever the person wasn't visually observing the squirrel(s).

Last edited: Apr 17, 2002
  8. Thanks Oxford*** Bet that was fun to watch.

9. Big Dog

Troublesome Treerats

If the little buggers are causing trouble, try trapping them. They aren't very smart, and can be baited pretty easy. Don't ever put animal food in a plastic container where squirrels are around. They'll eat through any thickness of plastic.
    Electric fences and water troughs are deadly to squirrels (hint!), as I said they are basically stupid, but cunning little devils. They taste good, too. (But not like chicken) ;)

10. Iv'e been told that moth balls work on mice and rats that get in the attic. Wonder if it works on other rodents. And also would the smell get in the house. The moth ball smell that is.

11. Big Dog

Don't know about mothballs, but a friend who used to do roofing work tells me they like the taste of the lead that used to be used for roof vents and other things. Apparently, the Treerats like the oxidized salts from the lead. This could make city squirrels a health risk for eating.
    Of course, Wallymart has some cheap but accurate pellet guns, to keep from bothering the neighbors. ;)

12. How about a 22 with a silencer. O.K. for you BATF boys that are watching. JUST KIDDING***** I have a crossman pellet pistol or rifle depends if the stock is on or not, that hits pretty hard.

13. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Prior to my neighbor putting a 110 volt electric wire around his feeder he, too, used an air rifle. He used to tell me that he was just stinging their hides. Funny thing was...one morning I found a squirrel laying feet upward in my yard next to my fence under his overhanging tree.

I mentioned it to his teenager boys and they denied shooting it. Said it was another neighbor who lives about 150 yards away who was shooting squirrels. I really didn't care but they sort of acted guilty and got really defensive about it. I just laughed it off.

The only reason I mentioned it to them was because several times I had witnessed them peppering squirrels in the top of their tree and wouldn't let it get away. Personally, I thought that wasn't necessary. Their parents didn't seem to ever teach them anything about gun safety or proper use of firearms as far as I could tell.

Actually, we've got too many squirrels around here and they're beginning to do lots of damage. Since the neighborhood trees have matured, including lots of oak trees, squirrels have plenty of food to keep them interested.

Oxford

14. Oxford: It's very unlikely that I would be in my back yard reducing the squirrel population. Now what kind of example would that be to my son, wife or my neighbors-- whom I have known since high school. The last time a squirrel got in the attic I drove it out -- by banging a spoon on a pot. I hope I won't get in trouble for using assault kitchen ware.:D

15. boneguru

boneguru G&G Newbie

I would think the city variety would taste better, from just being better fed!

16. Big Dog

Probably so, Boneguru. I've been feeding mine with a good grade of seed mix, and have had a good crop of acorns this past year. The little 'rats are fat and sassy. If I didn't have so many close neighbors, I'd be culling them. Have to be very careful, though.

:assult: