close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Feasability of buidling your own Garand from a stripped reciever?

Discussion in 'M1 Garand' started by killsnapz, Jun 16, 2014.

1. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Enthusiast

While doing my daily browsing of what's available on some of the internet gun stores that sell C&R stuff I saw one seller had a small quantity of stripped original M1 Garand receivers. I believe the manufacture was Harrison? The site had good pictures of some. The park on them looked good and they made a point of stating that these were absolutely NOT re-welds! They were asking $125 a piece. So in the back of my head I am now wondering what It would cost to buy a barrel bold assemble stock op rod and then all of the smaller bits and pieces. I would not be trying to recreate a M1 that looks 100% original but more of a functional reliable rifle. So am I crazy or what? I know you can buy nice rifles all done from CMP but I still wonder has anybody here done this?

2. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

https://www.gunandgame.com/members/orlando.9927/

^ Orlando has done that Michael and has lots of parts for the Garands. ^ He would be able to give you lots of advise should you decide to do that kind of a project.

The receiver you were looking at was probably a Harrington & Richardson. They were one of the manufacturers that built the Garands.

texnmidwest likes this.

3. Fishhead

Fishhead G&G Enthusiast

It has been done many times. Orlando is the guru here you want to hear from. Or check out the CMP forum. Do a search and you will find more than you'll ever want to know about rebuilding stripped or barreled receivers. The general consensus, however, will be: it is a very satisfying experience, and you will learn more about Garands than you ever could have any other way, but it ain't cheap. Actually, I'll tell you right now it ain't cheap. I have most of the pieces to bring a 1941 Winchester back from the grave. It will never be correct or all original, but will still come in substantially more expensive than what the CMP is asking. If you have Garand addiction already, go for it. If you just want to test the Garand waters, go the CMP route.

4. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

I've thought about getting one to do a BM59 conversion, but I think it might be too big of a project for me.

5. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Enthusiast

I already have a very nice March of 44 Springfield Garand. I bought it of a guy having a" I'm getting divorced selling off my firearms for cash before they can be declared in the divorce assets!" for $700 but I do not know where it came from besides the marking on the end of the barrel ARL.ORD.ARLINGTON, They apparently did some importing around the beginning of Y2K. The one thing that the receiver dates to March of 44 but the barrel is marked SA 6 45 I guess it could have had a barrel change later on maybe for the Korean war then re-barreled with a Springfield barrel that had been sitting in storage. It also has a brand new W.R.A. marked trigger group housing. After doing some research on Arlington Ordinance they were known for importing Garand's and just reselling them without refitting them in any way which is probably why mine has spring issues! Still I'm happy with what I paid because the best part of the deal was I also got just under 800 rounds of 1950's surplus M2 ammo with most of it loaded on clips. Some Lake City and a few St Louis marked rounds. Even several blacked tipped AP M2 rounds mixed in with the loose stuff! I do not have a barrel gauge but I did place a round in the muzzle and it has plenty of rifling that's for sure.

Mosinnewbe likes this.
  6. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Enthusiast

I forgot to mention in my post Orlando was the one I consulted when I first purchased the one I have back in 2009 and told me what I needed to replace to fix those annoying early clip ejections! He is absolutely the man!

7. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Enthusiast

Yes that's the name ChaZam! I had Harrison in my head from restoring GM muscle cars for so long. Harrison is a huge GM contractor for radiators and such.

ChaZam likes this.
  8. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Enthusiast

I'm not familiar with that one? What is a BM59 conversion. I know many M1's have been converted to NATO 7.62 which would be a cool build.

9. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

The Italians realized a major flaw in the Garand was the clip, so they designed a removable 7.62x51 box magazine for their rifles. What they created was kind of a middle ground between a Garand and an M-14 .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_BM59

10. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    You will never be able to build a Garand as cheap as you can buy a complete rifle. Just the parts alone will run more than a complete rifle, then you will need a receiver wrench, barrel vice, pull through reamer, levels, headspace gauges, etc.
    I have built them becuase I'm setting on a pile of parts
    If you are looking for a great shooter Garand get a CMP Service Grade $625
    Heres a BM59 conversion
    [​IMG]

11. I have probably built two dozen Garands and carbines from parts. Orlando is spot-on. You will pay more fore the pile of parts than you will a complete rifle. And then you need the tools. It's not like putting together an AR15.

12. Felix's Tattoo

Felix's Tattoo G&G Evangelist

Get the $625 Garand that Orlando talks about, get a $200+ barrel from Brownell's like I did, and have a smith put it together for you. Mine shoots great.

tbird430 likes this.
  13. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Why would you replace a perfectly good barrel on a Service Grade with a new commercial barrel? Service Grades are fine shooters as is

M14man likes this.
  14. Felix's Tattoo

Felix's Tattoo G&G Evangelist

I thought you were looking for a .308 Garand.

I forgot..I put the .308 barrel on an M1 kit that I had.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  15. I had a friend build a Garand from a stripped $195 CMP receiver, a April '44 Springfield. it cost him more in parts and labor than what he would have spent buying one already done. His was a mixmaster of parts with a H&R barrel from the 50's and the stock a CMP "pumpkin" birch. He did it because he wanted to save money. He learned a lesson the hard way.

tbird430 likes this.
  16. MJ11

MJ11 G&G Enthusiast

Receiver was $150 so I was at $350 including assembly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

870shooter1 and GSFixit like this.
  17. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Yes gas was also under $1.00 years ago. You cannot buy parts and build a Garand cheaper than you can buy one in todays market, period

tbird430 likes this.
  18. MJ11

MJ11 G&G Enthusiast

Orlando I think you are less than accurate. Not totally but 99% mistaken I should say. I'm about to build another and it did go up a bit to $400 in materials. A bit more if the barrel is not as nice as claimed in the parts set. Cheers

[​IMG]

19. MJ11

MJ11 G&G Enthusiast

Calm down sport. You seem to have an anger problem. :eek: The complete parts set posted above was $125. I think the seller has ten more, the receivers are originally from CMP from the same person and so far I have only had to replace an out of spec bolt catch of which the gentleman had maybe 20 extras in a box. The only draw back is I have to drive 145 miles to pick through the boxes. So there I dare. LOL

20. MJ11

MJ11 G&G Enthusiast

Make a lot of friends with that talk? I'll bet you would buy 100 but I think you would be the last person I would put with this old gent. At one time I think he did have 100 or more sets and was selling them for $90 for a long time. He had a table at a Reno show when I first met him with maybe forty M1 parts sets all in ex-plus condition I had to look over the pile to see him. LOL. The stocks he has given me would make most folks happy for a long time. I will dig out some pictures I took when I listed some for him. Barrels? OMG new in the tube, air gauged 03 match with paper work from DCM. Every visit is like a trip to the candy store. BS back at you.

Have a nice weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014